Speakers AND subwoofer for bass?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Andrew s wells, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

I did a search, and nothing came up, so I am sorry if this has been discussed before. I have a JBL E250p subwoofer, and yamaha NSA200xt mains. Should I set the reciever (Yamaha HTR5650) for both to handle the bass or just the sub? I would think there would be more bass if the mains and the sub work together? Can anyone help this still-learning home theater fanatic out? Thanks in advance. [​IMG]

2. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

I don't know anything about jbl or yamaha but with all the speaker sub combo's I've owned over the year unless your mains can play down to the 20hz range then I'd set the mains to small as i do for all my speakers and let the sub handle all of the lfe.

Craig

3. Gau

Gau Stunt Coordinator

craig, in the yamaha receiver setup, there is an option to send LFE to both Main's and sub, either, or one. This setting exists even if you set your mains to small.
    i have been wondering about this particular setting too.

4. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

I don't know why you would want to send your lfe to your mains if they were set to small. That doesn't make sense.

Craig

5. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

"Getting more bass" isn't the goal of a most AV enthusiasts. Getting the flattest response possible is the goal.

If you sub is adequately powered, and your room isn't overly eating any particular low frequencies, then there is little need to allow the mains to do, say,

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    LFE won't go to your mains unless you have sub=no. Bass and LFE are not the same thing.

7. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

I have noticed since I moved my system to a MUCH bigger room, the Bass doesn't have the same "oomph" it did in the smaller room. It sounds good, don't get me wrong , and thats the main reason I was asking (should have thought about wording it better before posting, but I was tired).
    Also, on another point, I was wondering about the switches on the back of the sub (I can't find my booklet). One of them has a 180 or Phase switch, and the other is LFE or Normal. could anyone fill me in with a little explanation? thanks again y'all [​IMG]

8. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

Try the phase switch both ways and leave it on the one that gives you the most bass. Not familiar with your speakers but I'd guess that you might find the "normal" choice would also give you more bass.....guessing that the switch might be a crossover. If your receiver has a setup choice of LFE or LFE + mains (with mains set to large) it won't hurt anything to give it a try both ways.

Mort

9. Cameron_Johnson

Cameron_Johnson Auditioning

If you are using your speaker system for movie surround sound, then use the sub. If you are using it for music, forget the sub... If you want really good, clear, and loud music sound, you want two or four matching floor standing, full range, 3 way speakers with built in 8" to 12" woofers. It will sound much better.

-Cameron

10. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

"LFE" bypasses the sub's crossover. use this setting if you're letting your receiver/pre/pro do your bass management.

"normal" allows the use of the sub's internal crossover. use this setting if your sub is connected via a speaker-level connection or if you are sending an unfiltered (non-bass managed) signal from your receiver/pre/pro via its pre-outs.