What's new

Speakers and sub are working good...How do i get them to sound good? (1 Viewer)

Ryan-Stone

Stunt Coordinator
Well everything(NSP1 set,PB12,and kenwood reciver)is hooked up and running fine, but now i need to know how to get them all to sound good together. First off I dont know what listening mode to use fom TV, music, and DVDs. the listening modes are "PLII MOVIE, PLII MUSIC, PRO LOGIC, CSII CINEMA, CSII MUSIC, CSII MONO, STERO" then when the dolby digital or pro logic indicator light is on(not sure how to get this light to come on) the also is " DOLBY DIGITAL and DOLBY D EX" i also dont know if the speaker EQ should be set to small, normal, or large. Sould the "Loundness" be on or off? and what do i set the seperate speaker volumes to, it say stuff like "cntr 0db+ and sbwf 5db+. Also why is it that when i turn it up loud and there is like a gap between commercials on TV the spekers have a loud fuzzy sound to them? thanks

Wil_J

Stunt Coordinator
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure I'm not the only one that will tell you to go get the Video Essentials DVD or Avia DVD. Those are used to calibrate your speakers so they all "mesh" well with each other.

Now, in order to properly use either of those DVD's you need an SPL meter. They can commonly be had from Radio Shack in an analog or Digital format. That is the place you should start. Someone else can take the rest of the question..............Wil

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
In regards to listening modes, use the one you like the best for the source. My H/K preamp has a nice music mode that I use for CDs, but I also enjoy good ol' stereo now and then. With DVDs, the receiver will usually lock on to the signal coming from the player and switch automatically to the proper mode, i.e. Dolby Digital or DTS. If the audio is encoded with a 2-channel DD soundtrack, you have the option of listening to it in stereo or any of the Pro-Logic variances.

The speaker size selections (small, normal, or large) affect the bass management of the receiver. On large mode, the main speakers will be run full range, with no subwoofer output on non-5.1 material. If you want the sub to handle the bass on everything, set this control to normal or small.

Loudness is a bass boost. Generally this is left off...

The separate speaker volume adjustments are used for calibration as Wil described. If you purchase the sound level meter, you will use these adjustments to make sure that each speaker is putting out the same volume as the others.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
The boys have covered the basics that you need to get started.

Read your reciever manual completly and over and over if nessesary to understand it's operation.

The Avia disc and SPL meter from Radio Shack are a MUST to get the most out of your system for movies!

The "Avia Disc" is better IMO for newbies, as it explains things clearly and in depth. The 70 to 90 dollar total outlay of cash for these items is WELL WORTH what it provides for you in the end. It is NOT a one time use thing either, you will find yourself going back to it again and again for any number of reasons.

As I mentioned, get familar with your receivers manual so when get these items it will make it much easier for you to properly calibrate your system.

It dose look confusing at first, (why your here right) but with the Avia disc, SPL Meter-Analog unit, and the receivers manual, you can get it done and right!

Not useing Avia and the SPL meter and trying to guess at this, CALIBRATING YOUR SYSTEM, even for an experienced person is very diffucult and generaly it ends with things being far from correct. The difference in a "Properly" calibrated system and one thats "Not", is Night and Day.

If once you have these items and your still having problems or questions, the Basics Area here at HTF is a great place to go to get answers.

Regards
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks