What's new

Speakers and Receivers - under $2K (1 Viewer)

Tony TW

Auditioning
I am new to the Home Theatre arena thus any advice will be truly appreciated.... With a budget of ~$1.5k, I am looking to replacing/upgrading my existing Pioneer VSX-305 HTS (purchased off my roommate back in the university days The HTS delivers lower than par sound quality even comparing to some $200 boom-boxes out there)

My two choices are:
COLOR=red]1). Replace the whole system:[/color]
Looked at:
Receiver - Denon AVR1803
Speakers - Energy Take 5.2
Sub - Definitive Technologies Pro-Sub80
Total package $1.5k -- Overall I like the combo except that the Take5.2 are not that solid in mid-range although the clarity is superb.

[ 2). Upgrade Components:
keep Pioneer VSX-305 receiver, front and rear (all bookshelf size) speakers and replace front speakers and subs:
Front:
- Energy Connoisseur C-3
- Athena Techologies AS F1
- Klipsch RF 5 or 7 (bit overf my budget)
Sub:
- Definitive Technologies Pro-Sub 80

Questions:
For Choice 1:
- any other system you would recommend?
- how much should I spend between speakers/receiver. Is 75%:25% about right?
For Choice 2:
- I can find little info on my receiver -- should I replace it or just keep as is and upgrade later?
- Is it more important to upgrade the speakers (esp. front) first and the receiver later ?
- any comment about front speakers/ sub listed -- any other choices you would recommend?

Many thanks in advance !!!!

Regards Tony;)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Tony, I have not heard the Energy’s but they are certainly getting very good reviews. But as to alternatives, have you considered Ascends with a VTF-2 or the Rocket ELTs? Both would come in at that figure or below.

AV123 has their ELT system plus a Denon 1804 for $1,250. If you are OK with the look of their wood cabinets, this is a fine system for primary HT use and is also quite good for music.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks