speakers and ceiling placement

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Weldy, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Matt Weldy

Matt Weldy Second Unit

How close to the ceiling could I mount a speaker on a wall.

2. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

the best sound is accomplished when the tweeter is somewhere between ear level at seated position and ear level when standing, but the directional tweeters that some in walls have would allow you to position them somewhat higher with good results....

3. Matt Weldy

Matt Weldy Second Unit

I have to mount these towards the ceiling, and I have no choice but to do it that way.

4. Eric Typpo

Eric Typpo Auditioning

The configuration of my family room doesn't allow for great speaker placement, and I was stuck with two options, one of which was mounting the main/center speakers on a shelf near the ceiling about 9-9.5' off the ground. With the speakers aimed downward toward the listening position, it sounded a lot better than you'd think. Unless you looked up at the speakers, the sound didn't sound like it was coming from way above you. It did sound somewhat diffuse and didn't image very well with music though, which is what made me go with my other option. In any case, make sure the speakers are aimed toward the listening position. That improved things considerably over having them pointed straight ahead.