What's new

speakers age (1 Viewer)

PaulVD

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Van Dyk
Hello, I just found out information about my front speakers. I bought them used 15 years ago. I contacted the company to find out more information about them, they are PSB "ATOMS" from 1983. My question is does the age of the speaker matter. I really enjoy the sound of the movies. If I do buy new speakers would I notice a difference to today speakers for home theater.

Thanks

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I don't know anything about your speakers, what is the model #?

PaulVD

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Van Dyk
Psb did not give a modle number out. I know the Atom was a pre Alpha speaker.
sorry

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Pre-alpha? The first alpha came out in 79'. So the speakers were purchased used or they were old when you bought them right?

Some series that proceed the Alphas were: Summit, Passif, and Avante. I beleive that is all that came before it aside from one system called TMW-3 which was discontinued in 81'. Many of the speaker systems didn't stop production untill the Alphas rolled out.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Interesting timeline.

However the first Alpha, which is vastly different from today's versions, came out in 79'. It was just called Alpha, and it had a brother called Alpha II. Alpha disapeared after 83' and it came back with the Alpha again in 91' and it ran untill 97'. In 96' they released an entire Alpha series with a sub, surrounds, center channel, the works.:)

PaulVD

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Van Dyk
I love the alpha line. I have the alpha centre and for the surround Alpha Intro LR. I thinking of may be upgrading the Atoms to another PSB comparable speaker. I only what to upgrade if there is going to be a difference.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

The only way to know is to go listen and see.

Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of PSB, but 15 years is kind of a long time, I would expect comparable offerings to be superior in sound quality, but I would also expect speakers from the early 90s to stand the test of time pretty well. If you start going really far back another decade then the changes in technology have been really large and I would seriously expect current speakers to be easily superior.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
If you are happy with the sound then that's all that is important. The speakers powering my HT are going on nine years old. While it's possible that technology has made my speakers obsolete I don't care because they sound good to me.

One of these days you'll listen to your system and think
"These speakers suck, I can do better than this......."
Until that happens whatever floats your boat :)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I'm using Wharedale speakers that are, let me see, 18 years old now (for my L & R) and they sound fantastic. Use them specially for my audio too.

Speakers age slowly, very slowly. I even guess that modern speakers may have more plastic-based components, which may degradate more quickly.

Cees

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Aside from damage from being over driven, the main cause of degredation in speakers due to age is deterioration of the surrounds (the flexible part between the cone and the metal frame) which varies depending on the environment and materials used in the surround. Sometimes they
literally fall apart. Look at the surrounds and see if they look intact.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
If you install a different set of speakers, regardless of age, you will probably notice a change in the sound. Frequency response characteristics of different makes and models of speaker units (drivers) and speaker systems are almost never identical. Whether the new speakers sound better is more often than not your opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiwipip