Speakers 6&7 In the ceiling Yes/No???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rhett_Y, Nov 19, 2001.

1. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

Hi all..

Here is my question, I have a 5.1 setup now, but I want to take advantage of the 7.1 setup (I realize not a lot of movies or music support it but hey). I have the two rears mounted on the side walls. I have about a 15foot gap between my couch and the back wall (dinning room). I was wondering if I could use a good pair of ceiling mounted speakers above the couch offeset by about 1-2 feet to the rear as my number 6&7 speakers? Yes/no, tell me what you guys think. Wife won't let me put two more speakers behind the couch, interfer with walking etc...

Thanks

Rhett

2. Ken Beck

Ken Beck Auditioning

I'm thinking about doing the same thing but more like 3 feet back - looking at the Klipsch RCR-5 which has a rotating horn.

3. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

I have been looking into the niles and atlantic tech ceiling speakers...

I am just curious if anybody else has done this??

Thanks

Rhett

4. Tom Luczywo

Tom Luczywo Auditioning

Rhett,

As a salesman and custom installer, I do recommed in-ceeiling rears, they do a nice job for surround effects provided that they are good speakers and you don't have a high ceiling. What eqipment do you have and what is your room and ceiling like??

5. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

Thanks for the responce.

I have 8 foot ceilings. I have Atlantic Tech 350 for the side rears.

My system is being upgraded to the B&K ref 30 with a ATI 1505 amp and an ATI 1502 amp to power the two new rear speakers.

Thanks I appreciate the help!

Rhett

6. Gary Silverman

Gary Silverman Stunt Coordinator

Rhett, FWIW, I'm usig Boston Acoustics speakers in my 8' ceiling for my l and r rears, and I'm absolutely thrilled with them. You might want to give them a listen, although I'm sure the consensus here will be to use the Atlantic Tech speakers since you are already using them. One caution though, demoing the speakers in a store is not a good indication of what they will sound like in your home, and buying them, cutting a hole in your ceiling, and then not liking them is a problem, too. You're stuck with a hole that may or may not fit another speaker, and also with convincing your retailer to take back speakers that have been installed. Good luck.