Speakerpage kit problem, maybe

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary Joe, Jun 1, 2002.

1. Gary Joe

Gary Joe Stunt Coordinator

I'm finally getting that SCH K05B41 kit put together that I bought off of Brian Bunge. It came with the front baffle with the kit, wherein lies my question. The instructions for building the cabinet say to flush mount the speakers yet with the provided gaskets in place the tweeter is still 1/8 inch below the baffle surface. Is this anything to worry about? Should I try to shim it out with extra gasket material? Also, since there isn't much room inside the speaker is there any problem with the crossover being in close proximity to the drivers. This is my first speaker project and want to get things done right.

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Gary,

I would add the extra weather stripping so that the tweeter is flush with the baffle. As far as the crossover is concerned, IIRC the cabinets are very similar in dimensions to my ACI Emeralds. The crossovers in them are mounted on the back wall between the terminal cup and the port.

Brian

3. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Yes, use two layers of gasket to get them flush. I talked to Ken at SCH and suggested he get his cabinet maker to reduce the depth of the driver recesses.