Speaker with my Denon 3803

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JohnChu, Dec 8, 2003.

1. JohnChu

JohnChu Stunt Coordinator

Hi, I am getting an Denon AVR 3803 and I already bought JBL SCS136SI. I am wonder what brand and what kind of speakers should I get?

Regards,

John

2. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

1. What's your budget?

2. What do you listen to?

3. Do you prefer bookshelf or floorstanding?

4. Do you plan to get a subwoofer?

5. Is WAF an issue?

6. Did you eat any salad today?

3. JohnChu

My budget is $500, I prefer floorstanding

4. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

Klipsch reference sound real good with Denon receivers.

5. Nick B

Nick B Stunt Coordinator

Bobby T:

What is it about the Denon 3803 that makes it a good match with Klipsch? Has anyone else had similar takes?

Nick

6. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

The 3803 does great with 8 ohm speaks, and the Klipsch Reference is a good choice. I've heard the RF-5, RC-7, and RB-3 on a 3803 and it sounds very nice - not too bright at all.

The Polk RTi series is another good sonic match with the 3803.

Maybe some other 3803 owners can chime in with their experiences with various speakers.

Avoid power hungry speakers with low/reactive impedance loads. For example, the Polk LSi is rated for 4 ohms and the 3803 has some trouble driving it.

7. Nick B

Nick B Stunt Coordinator

Rocket speakers have an impedence of 6 ohms. How would this factor in when being paired with a 3803?

8. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

I have a 2802 and use it with Paradigm Mini Monitors right now, which would fit your budget nicely, but if you want floorstanders you could look at the speakers in their performance line that might fit the bill. I'm holding out to move up to the Monitor 7 personally, but for now my Minis sound pretty good to me.

9. JohnChu

What are the top Ten brand for speaker?

10. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

You have a Denon 3803 and your budget for speakers is only $500? I think you need to go a little higher end on speakers. Im guessing thats just for your fronts. My favorite speakers, and bostons and kefs.

11. Andrew*L

Andrew*L Agent

John,

In addition to the feedback you've gotten already, I'd say that speakers are as varied and different as the people who listen to them [​IMG] . It is important for you to listen to any/all of the speakers you are thinking of getting, spending as much time as you can evaluating if they fit your needs and expectations. Here are a couple things I've learned in finding a speaker I like:

1. Be sure all tone controls and effects setting are zeroed out. You want to hear the speaker, not the receiver or preamplifier.

2. Be sure ONLY the speakers you want to listen to are on. Check especially to see if a subwoofer is accidently being played while you are auditioning (unless your shopping for a subwoofer [​IMG] )

3. Bring your own listening material. This will allow you to compare speakers with the same musical passages, that you are intimately familiar with (and will most likely be playing after your purchase anyways). I've burned a Reference Music CD that contains a wide variety of music that I like to listen to, and bring that with me for auditioning. By wide variety, I mean rock, jazz, classical, country vocals, :b , etc....whatever you like.

4. Gauge how fatigued your ears feel after an extended listening period. The less fatigued your ears feel, the happier you will be in the long term.

5. Listen, Listen, Listen....

6. Good Luck!

12. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

I also have the 3803 paired w/Klipsch,rf7's,very happy.