speaker wiring

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by dave robinson, Dec 1, 2002.

1. dave robinson

dave robinson Auditioning

Hi everyone!
    I have a question,
    if I were to wire a pair of front firing speakers (Paradigm mini's) out of phase would this be the same as having dipole speakers? I have 2 subs one in front & the other in the back of the room, so I don't think bass will be an issue.
    thanks,
    Dave [​IMG]

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Simple Answer: No. You would simply have a L/R speaker out of phase.
    Longer Answer: You would need to wire 2 speakers to each channel and wire them out of phase, and position them back-to-back to create a dipole. (Remember: a dipole fires the exact same sound forwards and backwards, not left out of phase with right.)
    Opinion: Dipoles are dead. Dont try it.
    Dipole speakers came out with ProLogic encoded VCR tapes. The goal was to 'hide' the location of the rear sounds and the guidelines were to only put ambient noises to the rear speakers.
    With a modern DVD, you WANT the speaker to draw attention to its location and not hide it.
    Hope this helps.

3. dave robinson

dave robinson Auditioning

thanks for your reply Bob,
    I did mean two speakers per channel, I have 6.1 setup & wanted side surround speakers as well as back surrounds.
    thanks, again

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Dave, please be very careful when trying to hook up multiple speakers to a single output.

Do you know the difference between a parallel and a serial connection? If not, get some advice before you attempt this. If you do it wrong, the system will appear to work, but the extra current-draw will heat your equipment and reduce it's lifespan.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

iirc, adding speakers like this would effectively *lower* the ohm rating. that means there's less resistance for your amp - which means it would run "harder" then it's designed to. i'm not positive though...bob, can you confirm?