What's new

Speaker wiring? (1 Viewer)

RyanL

Stunt Coordinator
I'm finishing my theater and would like to run 2 pair of surround speakers to my theater. I would like the same signal to be sent to each. I do have DD so all I'm looking for is the LS to be to both the LS speakers and same with the RS. Now, my question is this, how would I wire this up w/o damaging my speakers or receivers? I read once that the ohm load should be the same for all the speakers in the system. My front 3 are 8 ohm speakers. My rm isn't terribly big (12x24), but I plan on having 2 rows of seating, then I could also have 2 rows of surround speakers. Would this even be recommended? I have heard of running speakers in parrelel or series, but not sure how to do this or exactly what it means. One last question, how many watts would end up going to each speaker? My receiver is rated at 100x5. Thank you very much for your help.

RyanL

Stunt Coordinator
It does, but couldn't you connect them so you would maintain an 8-ohm load to the reciever by hooking them up in both parallel and series? Maybe not, just wondering. . .

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Hooking them up in parallel would halve the resistance (to 4 ohms) which might run the amp too hot in the average receiver which is only designed for an 8 ohm load.
Hooking themup in series would double the resistance to 16 ohms...which wouldn't hurt your receiver at all. You just might have to turn up the volume on the rears to compensate.
-dave

Brett Robert

Agent
I have 2 pairs of surrounds. They are hooked up in series. I love it. I also have 2 center channels. One above my screen and one bellow. I think there is a Yamaha receiver that allows for this but I am not sure. I haven't had a problem but I have never had mine past half throttle. NO NEED TOO.
------------------
~~~~~~~Brett~~~~~~~~~
Champagne tastes with a beer budget
My HT

RyanL

Stunt Coordinator
By doubling the ohms, would I have 1/2 of the watts to the speakers?
Thanks for your help Brett, I'm going to try and wire them in series this weekend just as a test run. It was nice to see your theater. What's the latest development? Is it completed yet? Looks superb!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks