What's new

Speaker wiring question (1 Viewer)

donovan_chin

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if I can connect 2 speakers to one channel with a minimum requirement of 8ohms. I have 2 8ohm speakers that I would like to use as rear channels. The only problem that I have is that if I connect them in parallel, the impedance will be less than 8ohms.
Can I connect them in series? That means, the red port from the first speaker to the red speaker port in the receiver.
Then I connect the black post of the first speaker to the red port of the second speaker and then I connect the black post of the second speaker to the receiver.
What is the impact of this? I know that the impedance will definitely be more than the requirement but how would it sound?

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
That would add the impedances, getting you to 16 ohms nominal impedance. This would be easier on your amplifier than 4 ohms (which is the nominal impedance you'll get by connecting them in parallel), but I have no idea how it'll sound.
Why do you want/need to do this?

donovan_chin

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,
It doesn't work that way... if I were to connect it that way, it would be a parallel circuit. When resistances/impedances are connected in parallel the effective resistance/impedance is (R1*R2)/(R1+R2).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks