Speaker wiring question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by donovan_chin, Aug 16, 2001.

1. donovan_chin

donovan_chin Stunt Coordinator

I was wondering if I can connect 2 speakers to one channel with a minimum requirement of 8ohms. I have 2 8ohm speakers that I would like to use as rear channels. The only problem that I have is that if I connect them in parallel, the impedance will be less than 8ohms.
    Can I connect them in series? That means, the red port from the first speaker to the red speaker port in the receiver.
    Then I connect the black post of the first speaker to the red port of the second speaker and then I connect the black post of the second speaker to the receiver.
    What is the impact of this? I know that the impedance will definitely be more than the requirement but how would it sound?

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

That would add the impedances, getting you to 16 ohms nominal impedance. This would be easier on your amplifier than 4 ohms (which is the nominal impedance you'll get by connecting them in parallel), but I have no idea how it'll sound.
    Why do you want/need to do this?

3. donovan_chin

I was thinking of using 2 speakers for the rear channel but I only have a 6.1 receiver.

4. Mike Kao

Mike Kao Second Unit

Can't you simply plug both the speakers in the binding post and wallah... 8 OHMS?

5. donovan_chin

Mike,
    It doesn't work that way... if I were to connect it that way, it would be a parallel circuit. When resistances/impedances are connected in parallel the effective resistance/impedance is (R1*R2)/(R1+R2).