Speaker Wiring - Newbie

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Chas_K, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Chas_K

Chas_K Auditioning

New to HT, but have been doing some reading about speaker operation. We want to add some rear speaker and subwoofer to our system. I have impression that the rear (surround) speakers are not alive unless signal is encoded, e.g. 5.1 enables all those speakers. Given newbie status, I could be wrong. Since most of our listening is music and cable TV with modest movie watching, can the rear speakers be wired both as "B" and surround, thus they'd be alive all the time ? Same thought regarding subwoofer. Grateful for any advice.

2. Justin_D

Justin_D Stunt Coordinator

They (the rears) can be turned on if you have a Pro Logic I/II or Neo:6 Decoder.

Audiophiles, please forgive me for this bad illustration. But basically, what those do is turn any 2 channel signal into a full 5.1 or 6.1 (depending on your receiver and which you use) signal. These obviously aren't as good as DD or DTS, and its debatable whether you should use them on music, but few debate how useful it is on watching TV broadcasts or VCR tapes.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    What receiver? Almost all receivers these days have some form of "all channel stereo", that will send the same signal to all speakers.

Stereo material can be used with Dolby to achieve simulated surround even if your receiver is Pro-Logic only.

NEO:6 does a good job with music, but not movies, in my experience. DPLII seems to do better with movies. There are also Circle Surround I and II, as well as Logic7 on some receivers.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I would wire them as surrounds, leave music in 2-channel, and use a processing format as mentioned, such as PLII, Neo6, etc, on TV, 2-channel older movies, etc. That way you can still use them for DD/DTS. This is what most people do.

5. Chas_K

Chas_K Auditioning

Receivers on the short list are Yamaha RX-V2400, Denon AVR-3803, Marantz SR-7400. Thought I read somewhere that the Denon will be old model soon ? Any other suggestions ?