speaker wires

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by gregJohnson, Nov 26, 2005.

1. gregJohnson

gregJohnson Auditioning

hey i'm not sure if this is the right section to post this on but here it goes. I have a stereo with 5 speakers. I'm trying to get the surround speakers to the back of the room without showing the wires. I'm not sure if i should run the wires through the walls or if that is difficult. its a relitivly small room. any sugjestions.

2. Mattak

Mattak Stunt Coordinator

Usually the problem with going through walls (without ripping off a ton of drywall) is that there's blocking in the walls (2x4's horizontally between the stud 2x4's) which prevent you from dropping wire down to an outlet box. There may not be blocking on interior walls, you'd just have to find out [​IMG]

3. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

Several options besides inside the wall which can range from moderately difficult to impossible depending on what's in the wall and the arrangement of the room. Several companies make surface mount cable guide/covers that will mount on the wall. One other makes something that essentially replaces the baseboard with a paintable plastic shell shaped like a baseboard but with places for cable inside. I know a couple of the vendors here sell them, I've seen them in the big-box home centers, electrical supply companies have them and I'm sure plenty will turn up in a Google search.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Greg,

Do you have attic access above the room? What is the floor - carpet, hardwood, or what?

5. gregJohnson

gregJohnson Auditioning

its hard wood floor and i have an attak but i'm not sure what its like up there. i can get there through a small hole in my closet ceiling so its probably beter to aviod it

6. Mattak

Mattak Stunt Coordinator

Dick's idea could work. If you have thick enough base board you could remove it and use a router to put a channel into the back, or even just run it along the floor/wall behind the base board since the drywall should be 1/4-1/2" off the floor giving you a 1/4-1/2" x 5/8" hollow to run wiring.

7. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

In-wall will look better, but you must buy speaker wire that is (think fire dept.) approved. They do have that in rolls at Home Depot, if that is an option for you. You can get it online too.

Then you just put a wall plate on the wall and mount the speaker.

Oh, welcome!

Glenn

8. gregJohnson

gregJohnson Auditioning

how hard is it to install a wall plate and what does it involve... i have run cable between rooms before by drilling holes on both sides but that was directly on the other side. running wires to the other side of a room seems harder. but mabey i just am not farmilar with any easy technique . i hope i did not make a new thread... i may have if so i appologize.[​IMG]

9. BlakeN

BlakeN Stunt Coordinator

You are going to have 2x4 studs every 16-24" vertically in your wall so you can't just run it along horizontally in the wall you will have to drop it down from above or push it up from below that’s why they are asking if you have attic access. What is below this room? Is it an unfinished basement by chance? You could drop the cable to the basement and then run it along and push it up. Since your room is finished you will have to buy remodel single gang boxes if you want to use boxes. You have to cut a hole in your wall and then push the box in. Two levers pop up and you tighten the box to the existing drywall. Unfortunately the only easy technique for doing what you want to do is to call an electrician but that’s not very DiY.

10. gregJohnson

gregJohnson Auditioning

wow looks like i may have to venture into my attik i wonder if its safe up there... and under my room is a finished room [​IMG] bummer.

11. SteveLeach

SteveLeach Stunt Coordinator

When crawling around in the attic, make sure and wear a breathing filter of some sort. You can find them in your local home improvement store.

12. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

When crawling around the attic, make sure you step on the joists only or you'll open up a bigger hole than you needed!