What's new

speaker wires (1 Viewer)

Lin

Grip
I am setting up my 1st HT in my house and have a question for running speaker wires to my rear speakers. It is about a 24ft run to my rear speakers and I was wondering on what kind of speaker wire to use? Any input would be appreciated, thanks,
Lin

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Lin
First, welcome to the Forum!
It is generally recommended among the “informed” to use 14 ga. or larger speaker wire.
Beyond that, exactly what kind of wire to use is another matter. If you are running under carpet, you will want a flat wire. If it is to be run in the wall or attic, many jurisdictions require a special wire that will not give off noxious fumes when it burned
Personally, I used regular high-quality cable like Radio Shack’s Mega cable. If figure if my house ever starts burning, fumes from my speaker wire is the least of my problems.
biggrin.gif

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Lin

Grip
Wayne --
Thanks for the input, I agree, I am not going to worry about my wiring if my house is on fire. I have read, and think especially as you are confirming it, that I will use 12 ga.
Thanks for your reply,
Lin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks