speaker wire

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Weldy, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Matt Weldy

Matt Weldy Second Unit

Is the stuff from home depot good enough. And I dont mean the pre packaged kind. Also is the difference in inwall only for building codes. Or is there some other property that will make sound better since its ran through the wall. I am planning to 50 foot runs for surrounds and I am planning on 16 gauge. The speakers are def tech bp1.2x so I dont think they require alot of juice. I am planning on starting this tomorrow and I would hate to pull the wrong wire. Thanks for your help.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    In wall wire has a specific type of jacket that has to meet building codes, the wire itself is no different.
    Check this chart for wire run lengths and gauge. 16ga looks OK for this length, but I would either shorten them up a bit or step up to 14 ga.

3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

"Or is there some other property that will make sound better since its run through the wall"
    I don't think it matters though I've heard talk on to never lay a speaker wire on the ground, never have the wire closer than 3" to another wire, and cross other wires at 90 degree angles. Personally I think most of that is "myth".
    I don't know exactly what the UL rating or wall certified wires meet. Maybe it's because walls get hotter or something. The Home depot wire sounds good to me, I've been very pleased with the sound I get from mine. [​IMG]

4. Bill Street

Bill Street Stunt Coordinator

I don't think it's absolutely necessary, but many folks on the forum use the Home Depot 12 Gauge speaker wire for long runs. It's not but a few cents more per foot and then you would know that you had wire more than equal to the task.

Bill S.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

The in-wall stuff has to do with current carrying capability and fire retardancy. Insurance companies can be finicky enough without giving them reasons to question a claim. Of course, another alternative might be to run flat wire under carpeting or along the walls which can be pretty unobtrusive.

6. Lee Petty

Lee Petty Stunt Coordinator

for that lenght i would definately go with 12ga. and yes the cl rated wire is just for building code stuff.
    chris:
    i dont know about the part about laying the cable on the ground, but keeping it 3" away and making perpendicular crosses is correct. some wires are very easy to get crosstalk and interference.

7. Iver

Iver Second Unit

I like the link which John Garcia posted. That site has what is probably the most rational, level-headed information on speaker wire you will find.

Plus, if you can't trust a guy from MacIntosh, then, really, who can you trust?

Among the many excellent articles quoted in the site, the best is the one where Monster offered the ratings of their products customers gave on returned warranty cards as proof of how well Monster wire works. As if people who just dropped major cash on speaker wire are going to say it sounds anything less than wonderful.