Speaker Wire

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James_C, Oct 24, 2001.

1. James_C

James_C Agent

I am a newbie and I just purchased a pair of the Def Tech BP-8B's. I need to know what gage wire I should use. Do I use the same for the center and surrounds too???

2. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I would recommend 12 gauge wire all around. You should be able to get this at Lowe's or Home Depot for around $.35 a foot.

3. Nick G

Nick G Stunt Coordinator

I would add Radio Shack to Marty's list of places to get 12G speaker wire.
    Nick

4. Nick_Gray

Nick_Gray Agent

Just a question regarding the Lowes' wire (which I currently use): One of the wires is all copper, while the other is copper and aluminum (I assume - it's silver in color). Now correct me if I'm wrong, but don't copper and aluminum have some sort of weak electrochemical reaction on contact? I thought we did a little test in high-school where we wired aluminum and copper together and got a very, very small voltage.
    If this is the case, wouldn't that jack with the sound quality (theoretically, I'm not saying I can hear a difference between my left and right channels). Besides which, it would accelerate corrosion, and I know that oxidized copper is not nearly the conductor that pure copper is.

5. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    I use Home Depot wire. 12 guage and 35 cents a foot. If I remember correctly I got a 250 foot roll for $65. Both wires are made up of the same material.
    Gregg
    ------------------
    The Sonodome
    The Newest Sonotube
    Gregg's DVDs
    The Family Units

6. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

7. Nick_Gray

Nick_Gray Agent

By the way, I meant Home Depot, the $.34/ft variety. The stuff I got is definitely multicolored. I believe it was labeled "12/2 Speaker Wire". I tried to pull up the data on it from their web site, but crashed just before I could pull it up.
    I have a hard time believing cheap Home Depot bulk wire would have real silver (there's pobably enough in that one side to make 22 awg wire), though I'm sure stranger things have happened...

8. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

The "Silver" wire is tin... and it won't (99.999% unlikely) make any sonic difference on low-fi or mid-fi setups.
    I know, I sell that kinda wire/cabling every day.
    ------------------
    September 11, 2001
    "Those who died will always be remembered.
    Those who killed will never be forgotten.
    We who remain will not let it happen again."
    [Edited last by JerryW on October 24, 2001 at 02:48 PM]

9. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

The local Radio Shack wanted $1.00 per foot for 12 gauge wire. I assume it is no different from the $0.35 per foot 12 gauge wire I purchased at Lowe's.

10. James_C

James_C Agent

I went and bought some 12 gauge wire...isn't that too big????

11. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

No, 12 guage is fine. What are you planning for hookups? Bananas or bare wire? If it's bare wire, you'll be better off with the thicker 12 guage. More surface area = better conductivity.

12. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Yes, the 12 ga is thick. This is why I highly recommend the dual-banana (MegaCable) plugs from Radio Shack. They have an over-sized hole in the side that takes 12 ga very nice.
    If the dual plugs stick out too far behind your receiver, RS also has a nice 2-piece plug that is shorter.
    I was using Monster "twist-crimp" bananas, but the would pull loose every few weeks. I have not had a loose wire in nearly 2 years with the dual bananas. At $6 each, they are not a bad investment.
    It is also very important to do a neat job wiring these things. You dont want strands of copper sticking out and causing a short. The banana plugs make it easy to do a neat job.
    Good Luck.

13. SamRoza

SamRoza Stunt Coordinator

I recommend the cheapo Monster crimp-on bananas(not the twist-n-crimps), and I also recommend Parts Express's Dayton loudspeaker screw on connectors. They are 2-piece construction, have 2 set-screws, and a collar that screws over that. THey're good lookin too!
    Sam

14. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

That reminds me. The Dayton screw type bananas are on special from PartExpress for $5 for two pair. I ordered them a couple a weeks ago as they were out of stock. I think they're on their way as I got shipping confirmation last Thursday. Sale ends Wednesday as I recall.

15. Sean_B

Sean_B Stunt Coordinator

I went to Home Depot and the 12 guage was .47 a foot. I went with 14 guage @ .20 a foot. But i'm not using it for my mains just my surrounds.

16. Steve Gazi

Steve Gazi Stunt Coordinator

Is there a limit to the length of speaker wire? I have to go a good ways, atleast it seems kind of far to me, to be able to get wires to my rear speakers. I don't have them yet, but I should have them soon.

17. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

I run custom fabricated botique quality Bi-Wires to my AR9
    towers. The speaker cable is 12 Gauge 99.999% Oxygen Free
    Copper, 300+ Strand Count,Rope Braided and encased inside
    clear thick PVC with polarity indicators and feet markers.
    This cable is $30.00 for 100' from http://www.partsexpress.com
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Brett DiMichele
    My Home Theater Site!
    [email protected]
    [Edited last by Brett DiMichele on October 29, 2001 at 09:29 PM]
    [Edited last by Brett DiMichele on October 30, 2001 at 10:53 AM]

18. James_C

James_C Agent

Great!!
    Bump

19. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

Thanks for the tip on the speaker wire brett. I just ordered me some of that speaker wire. its on sale now like you said for 29.90 for 100 ft of 12 gauge. what a bargain..... I saved enough to buy me a complete set of banana plugs(i hope those daytons are worth it)

20. Ritesh P

Ritesh P Auditioning

Hey Brett or anybody else out there, I am a newbie so bear with me. is any thread or magazine that has compared some of these speaker cables. I am putting together a HT and i keep hearing monster is good/bad, auidoquest is good/bad, Kimber is good/bad. add to that your recommendation and i'm even more confused. help!