What's new

Speaker Wire (1 Viewer)

James_C

Agent
I am a newbie and I just purchased a pair of the Def Tech BP-8B's. I need to know what gage wire I should use. Do I use the same for the center and surrounds too???

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I would recommend 12 gauge wire all around. You should be able to get this at Lowe's or Home Depot for around $.35 a foot.

Nick G

Stunt Coordinator
I would add Radio Shack to Marty's list of places to get 12G speaker wire.
Nick

Nick_Gray

Agent
Just a question regarding the Lowes' wire (which I currently use): One of the wires is all copper, while the other is copper and aluminum (I assume - it's silver in color). Now correct me if I'm wrong, but don't copper and aluminum have some sort of weak electrochemical reaction on contact? I thought we did a little test in high-school where we wired aluminum and copper together and got a very, very small voltage.
If this is the case, wouldn't that jack with the sound quality (theoretically, I'm not saying I can hear a difference between my left and right channels). Besides which, it would accelerate corrosion, and I know that oxidized copper is not nearly the conductor that pure copper is.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
I use Home Depot wire. 12 guage and 35 cents a foot. If I remember correctly I got a 250 foot roll for $65. Both wires are made up of the same material.
Gregg
------------------
Link Removed
The Newest Sonotube
Gregg's DVDs
The Family Units

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
One of the wires is all copper, while the other is copper and aluminum (I assume - it's silver in color).
I believe the 'silver' wire is actually silver plated copper, not aluminum. Silver has an excellent electrochemical bond with copper.
------------------
Dan

Nick_Gray

Agent
By the way, I meant Home Depot, the $.34/ft variety. The stuff I got is definitely multicolored. I believe it was labeled "12/2 Speaker Wire". I tried to pull up the data on it from their web site, but crashed just before I could pull it up.
I have a hard time believing cheap Home Depot bulk wire would have real silver (there's pobably enough in that one side to make 22 awg wire), though I'm sure stranger things have happened...

JerryW

Supporting Actor
The "Silver" wire is tin... and it won't (99.999% unlikely) make any sonic difference on low-fi or mid-fi setups.
I know, I sell that kinda wire/cabling every day.
------------------
September 11, 2001
"Those who died will always be remembered.
Those who killed will never be forgotten.
We who remain will not let it happen again."
[Edited last by JerryW on October 24, 2001 at 02:48 PM]

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
The local Radio Shack wanted $1.00 per foot for 12 gauge wire. I assume it is no different from the $0.35 per foot 12 gauge wire I purchased at Lowe's.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
No, 12 guage is fine. What are you planning for hookups? Bananas or bare wire? If it's bare wire, you'll be better off with the thicker 12 guage. More surface area = better conductivity.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the 12 ga is thick. This is why I highly recommend the dual-banana (MegaCable) plugs from Radio Shack. They have an over-sized hole in the side that takes 12 ga very nice.
If the dual plugs stick out too far behind your receiver, RS also has a nice 2-piece plug that is shorter.
I was using Monster "twist-crimp" bananas, but the would pull loose every few weeks. I have not had a loose wire in nearly 2 years with the dual bananas. At $6 each, they are not a bad investment.
It is also very important to do a neat job wiring these things. You dont want strands of copper sticking out and causing a short. The banana plugs make it easy to do a neat job.
Good Luck.

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
I recommend the cheapo Monster crimp-on bananas(not the twist-n-crimps), and I also recommend Parts Express's Dayton loudspeaker screw on connectors. They are 2-piece construction, have 2 set-screws, and a collar that screws over that. THey're good lookin too!
Sam

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
That reminds me. The Dayton screw type bananas are on special from PartExpress for $5 for two pair. I ordered them a couple a weeks ago as they were out of stock. I think they're on their way as I got shipping confirmation last Thursday. Sale ends Wednesday as I recall.

Sean_B

Stunt Coordinator
I went to Home Depot and the 12 guage was .47 a foot. I went with 14 guage @ .20 a foot. But i'm not using it for my mains just my surrounds.

Steve Gazi

Stunt Coordinator
Is there a limit to the length of speaker wire? I have to go a good ways, atleast it seems kind of far to me, to be able to get wires to my rear speakers. I don't have them yet, but I should have them soon.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I run custom fabricated botique quality Bi-Wires to my AR9
towers. The speaker cable is 12 Gauge 99.999% Oxygen Free
Copper, 300+ Strand Count,Rope Braided and encased inside
clear thick PVC with polarity indicators and feet markers.
This cable is $30.00 for 100' from http://www.partsexpress.com
cable1.jpg

------------------
htflogo.gif

Brett DiMichele
My Home Theater Site!
[email protected]
[Edited last by Brett DiMichele on October 29, 2001 at 09:29 PM]
[Edited last by Brett DiMichele on October 30, 2001 at 10:53 AM]

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the tip on the speaker wire brett. I just ordered me some of that speaker wire. its on sale now like you said for 29.90 for 100 ft of 12 gauge. what a bargain..... I saved enough to buy me a complete set of banana plugs(i hope those daytons are worth it)

Ritesh P

Auditioning
Hey Brett or anybody else out there, I am a newbie so bear with me. is any thread or magazine that has compared some of these speaker cables. I am putting together a HT and i keep hearing monster is good/bad, auidoquest is good/bad, Kimber is good/bad. add to that your recommendation and i'm even more confused. help!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks