Speaker wire

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by joeVee, Jul 1, 2003.

1. joeVee

joeVee Auditioning

I just purchased the Kenwood home theater in a box. What kind of speaker wire do you recommend? I looked at Monster brand, but very expensive. Would appreciate any help with gauge, brand, etc.., and where I can purchase it at.

Thanks,
    Joe V

2. NateF

NateF Stunt Coordinator

The consensus generally seems to be that to get the best value for your money you should go to Home Depot and get some 12 gauge no brand speaker wire on a spool. It's practically the same as monster cable, and way cheaper. People with multiple thousands to spend on speakers alone might want better, but for people who aren't independantly wealthy, the Home Depot stuff is perfect.

-Nate

3. Steven Lanham

Steven Lanham Auditioning

If you're on a budget, you can't go wrong with basic speaker cable from Home Depot (12 or 14 gauge; I use 12). Inexpensive and very well regarded on this forum.

Steven

4. Mikel.S

Mikel.S Extra

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Hey, Carol makes HD's wire. That's a name!

6. Asim

Asim Stunt Coordinator

does anyone have a part number on the homedepot product?
    i can't quite seem to find the right thing on their website...
    and if someone knows offhand, is it cheaper than soundking at partsexpress? thanks.

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Don't know the part # but there's got to be an HD somewhere close to you. They're like pollen. Probably cheaper at HD considering you'd have to pay s/h. OTOH if you're looking to buy several items, then PartsExpress may be more cost effective.

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul Agent

Hi:

Here is my humble "moonshine" cable recipe, likely a result of the knowledge gathered on HTF with some twists.

-Monster MC500 LPE dielectric cable $1.60/ft at CircuitCity
    -RadioShack #205(i might be wrong) Au-plated banana plugs (the ones with the black and red plastic sleeves) $7/pair
    -RadioShack Silver Bearing Rosin Core Solder cheap cheap
    -WalMart Butane Torch.
    -Electric Cable stripper.

Make sure you heat up the banana plugs until the conducted heat is able to melt the silver alloy into the cable so you can see it at the end of the plug. Aim the torch on high flame to the center of the plug, and not on the wire, as the dielectric will melt and it'll get messy.

Wow, i run these on my 7.1 surround biamp/biwired fronts (4+1+2+2 cables) and i paid total about $300 in cables for a huge 25x45ft. room.

Hope this helped

Bob

My setup:
    Denon AVR-3803
    Sherbourn 5/1500A
    Audiotron AT100 digital music/internet radio (optical digi)
    Paradigm Ref. Studio 100v2
    Para Studio CC
    SVS PB2(well just shipping to me for now [​IMG])
    Polk RT800 (a decent former front, now side speaker [​IMG]))
    Polk MKII (rears)
    The rest is junk that will read offensive to HTF members [​IMG])
    (slow case of upgraditis in partial remission here, kept in constant check by Dr. Wife's best efforts).

9. Kevin McCurdy

Kevin McCurdy Stunt Coordinator

I just came back from Home Depot with 80 feet of the 12 guage wire. Paid $0.30 a foot. You need to go to the bulk cable area and ask them to cut it for you. They also sell it in spools 250 ft long.

10. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Was it that much!??! My god, it's only copper!!

11. MikeNagy

MikeNagy Stunt Coordinator

The general rule of thimb for wiring is that the amount that you spend on interconnects, speaker wiring, and termination should be 5-10% of your total system cost (speakers, receiver/amp, sources); spend a lower percent as the total system cost goes up. There IS a difference in tonal qualities that better cables give.

12. Topher

Topher Stunt Coordinator

The general rule of thimb for wiring is that the amount that you spend on interconnects, speaker wiring, and termination should be 5-10% of your total system cost (speakers, receiver/amp, sources

Who wrote these rules? How could cost EVER be included in a formula to derive how much to pay for cables and interconnects? Considering different brand names charge different prices for approximately the same equipment (sometimes) how could a theory like that work? I do understand the importance of quality cable, but not overpriced cable. Maybe I just don't have a golden ear, but I can't tell the difference when compairing same guage wire, one being "high end" and the other being "no-name". I'll stick to no-name and have more money for movies! Sorry for the rant, I get sensitive sometimes!!! [​IMG]

13. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

14. Asim

Asim Stunt Coordinator

well i went to my home depot...i couldn't find any 12 gauge on spools or speaker (only 3 conductor), so i had the person paged...after waiting 20 mins, some, well i won't get into my personal impression of the guy, guy shows up and says they don't carry 12 gauge. we look all over and cant find it, so i end up buying some 14 gauge 50 foot for 10 bux. i wasn't gonna drive around b/c my speakers just came in that day and i wanted to try em out. ah well.. i think trying to get 12 gauge into the posts might have been an extremely tight if not impossible fit.