Speaker Wire Wall Plates??? HELP!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Gary V, May 10, 2004.

1. Gary V

Gary V Extra

I had a new home built and the dumbass homebuilder put the extra large (two switch) plate cover, over the hole where the speaker wires run to. See, behind my TV I have this plate cover, which has the wires which run to other plate covers for each of the surround sound speakers.

Now, I have found speaker wire plates that cover a normal sized switch plate. But I need one that is the double size. I don't know the exact measurements, but I know it is the standard double switch sized plate. I have seen them before as I saw one in the model. Can someone point me in the right direction, to find a double-sized switch plate with the gold plated plugs???

Thanks!

Gary

2. Gary V

Gary V Extra

It is basically this size:

store4.yimg.com/I/myknobs_1790_206605931

(sorry, the forum wont let me post a link to another website until I havbe 15 posts!)

3. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

Lowes has them, at least up here. If all else fails http://www.markertek.com They are a broadcast supply place, but they will even make you custom plates, and I think they are located in Vegas.

4. anth_c

anth_c Stunt Coordinator

The speaker connectors come in single width. You just need to attach two of these to a double width wall plate.

5. Gary V

Gary V Extra

You would think two singles would fit, but they don't. I blew $50 on two singles, and it does not line up.

6. Mike<>P

Mike<>P Extra

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking for. You have a 2 space box that you need a 2 space speaker terminal plate for?

If so, could you buy a 2 space blank plate and carefully drill holes in it and install your speaker terminals. If you need the terminals go to Radio Shack and buy the 'gold series' post type terminal cups($4.99)and take the terminals out. It would look nice and be a hell of a lot cheaper than a pre-made one. $15 tops.

7. Rutgar

Rutgar Second Unit

Go to Parts Express at:

www.partsexpress.com

They have everything you need. For the actual wall boxes (single gang, double gang, etc.), you can get them at Home Depot, etc.

- Rutgar

8. Gary V

Gary V Extra

Mike, how do you suggest I go about drilling 8 holes in a plastic wall cover, without having it crack?

9. Mike<>P

Mike<>P Extra

Very carefully[​IMG] Try using a Dremel or similar tool. Also at Home Depot there are usually 2 different kinds of blank plates . The standard cheap(breaks before you get it home)$1 version and the super deluxe(unbreakable)$2 version. Try the unbreakable version as it will be less brittle. Use a NEW bit at the highest speed your tool has. Go slowly! It should cut through "like butta"

Hope this helps. Good luck!

10. Drew Eckhardt

Drew Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

Buy a 2-gange decora wall plate, plus 2 inserts with 2 pairs of binding posts or banana jacks each (Parts Express, Niles, etc. all sell them).

You can get 4-pair inserts, although they won't accept standard dual banana plugs (the insert is too small)

11. ClintS

ClintS Stunt Coordinator

I used the double decora plates and leviton quickport decora inserts. The can be found at www.broadbandutopia.com or possibly your local Home Depot (mine didnt carry everything I needed).