Speaker wire & Video in

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Mark C Wagner, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Mark C Wagner

Mark C Wagner Auditioning

Just want to first say this forum is awesome! I am a newbie and always treated with respect. Moving along, just picked up an Onkyo TX-SR700 and had a couple of questions. I would like to use 12 gauge oxygen free cable for my speakers. That seems to be just about the general consenus among most. I need about a hundred ft roll and was wondering if anyone had any favorite place to purchase. I have checked out a couple of places on the net to no avail.

Second question: My projection TV just has a S-video input so obviously from the reciever to the TV I would use the S-video input. But from my DVD to the reciever, should I use the component connections to the reciever? Or should I use the S-video from the DVD to the reciever?

Finally, is there any merit to using a "high-priced" or high quality S-video cable, verses the cable that is supplied with the reciever or DVD?

Thanks for support and help. I do mean it !!

Mark

Proverbs 3:4-5

2. Jason.Soko

Jason.Soko Stunt Coordinator

3. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

2) Svideo all the way. I don't think I've seen a receiver that converts component to or from anything.

As long as the cable doesn't receive a lot of interference, there's usually not a big difference. Having said that, if you have a lot of junk back there (power cords, speaker wire, etc.) it might make something of a difference.

4. Mark C Wagner

And again I say "thank you"... I wish there were special words for special people in this forum. This is great !! I am excited about hooking this all up, but wanted some input from the forum, but was reluctant to post as I thought it might take too long for replies. I was not disappointed !!

I will check out the site, order my wire, and hopefully I will be up and running soon.

Thanks for your posts !!

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

If your DVD player is your only SVideo source, dont go through the receiver. Go straight to the TV.

Only go through the receiver if you have 2 or more SVideo devices. Otherwise using the receiver as a switcher is kind of silly - nothing to switch away from.

VIDEO CABLE:

As always, the cable is only an issue as your equipment becomes more 'sensitive'.

For a 19" tube, low-medium cables are fine. But as the screen size gets bigger, the system becomes more sensitive and the cable could make a visible difference.

My advice:

For a TV below about 40" - Go with the AR Pro/Pro2 type of cable from Best Buy for about $20-$30.

If you get above 40", consider one of the custom cable sites that will build you a good cable for $40-$60.

6. Mark C Wagner

Thanks Mr. Bob. I understand now what's happening. I have a projection TV, 56"... and it's okay for now. (It's in our budget as it is paid for, ha) I do have a pretty good VCR also that has S-video. So with your advice, I will probably use the reciever as a switching device.

Been trying to figure out what the "optical-digital" connection is on the DVD. Feel kinda silly asking whether that is video or audio? Would it be better to use that ?

I guess my real point in all this is hooking this thing up the get the best sound. Don't really understand the connections. Maybe I need to do more reading.

Thanks, Mark

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

8. Mark C Wagner

Thanks Scott for filling me in. I am not stupid, but somehow this thing is not "clicking". I have a VCR and DVD player and that is all I am using and have. I don't want to do anything else except watch pre-recorded movies.

Trying to make heads or tails from the owners manual with multi-bizzilion ways to configure it just is mind boggling at this point.

I have the speakers and I am set to go. With your help, it should be sounding the way it should. I knew with confindence I could count on the forum.

Thanks again !!