What's new

speaker wire under carpet? (1 Viewer)

Don.l

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
Hey all. I am going to be installing base shakers for my 4 seats. I will have one set of speaker wire going to each seat. So, is it OK to run speaker wire under the carpet and padding? Will it degrade if it is walked on? Is there special flat speaker wire you can get for this purpose?

Thanks
Don

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I had regular 12-gauge speaker wire under-carpet and you could barely feel it even with no shoes on. With shoes, you didn’t even know it was there. It will partly depend on the carpet, I imagine. I figure it will be more noticeable with ultra-flat carpets like burbur (sp?) than with a pile carpet. With the former, I think I’d go with a flat speaker wire.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Don.l

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
Thanks. I live about 20 minutes from Parts Express, and I will have to get some.

Don

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I did this with generic 16-ga speaker wire in my previous apartment, and it worked well. It wasn't really noticable unless you were feeling for it.

Strictly speaking, this is probably a fire hazard. You've got non-certified electrical wires, in areas with foot traffic, under flammable materials. Obviously, this didn't stop me and my apartment didn't burn down. But maybe this is of interest to you.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Not a problem with speaker wires. They don’t generate any heat - which explains why your apartment is still standing. :).

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks