Speaker Wire to RCA

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Tom Scholfield, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Tom Scholfield

Tom Scholfield Stunt Coordinator

Hi everyone I am trying to take my surrounds out of my 5.1 reciever and place them to the front three channels on my Pro Logic reciever. I know there is some kind of converter to switch from the speaker cables to RCA. Please help.

2. Chuck Mullen

Chuck Mullen Stunt Coordinator

Tom,
    What you are trying to do is not quite clear. Can you elaborate?

3. Tom Scholfield

I am taking my "stereo" surrounds out of my surround speakers and plugging them into an input on my old pro logic reciever. I will then set the pro logic reciever to 3channel logic and use the front three channels of the pro logic reciever as my surround sound speakers, hence getting a matrixed back surround channel.

4. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

where's the rca connection?

5. Tom Scholfield

on my pro logic reciever, anyone of the several inputs on there like dvd/LD, VCR, TV, CD etc.

6. Jim Rakowiecki

Jim Rakowiecki Stunt Coordinator

What you want to do is convert the speaker level output on your 5.1 reciever and convert them to line level inputs to plug into the inputs of another reciever?
    If thats what you want to do you may want to look at this thing. http://store.yahoo.com/asihome/rsadp1.html

7. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

what is it you want to do exactly, tom?

[​IMG]

8. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

He's trying to use his old prologic to create a DD-EX rear center channel. It's not officially EX, but it works.

You probably should convert those speaker outs to a low-level output before plugging into that prologic. I would hate to see you blow up that 5.1.

9. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

tom, if you're trying to get the surround info to come out of the front speakers, there should be a 3-channel setting on your receiver.

10. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I understand what he's doing, but he also is at risk of blowing things up.

He's trying to do DD EX decoding with an old pro-logic receiver. However, instead of using pre-outs for the two surrounds, and feeding them through the pro-logic receiver in 3-channel mode, he is using the *speaker-level* outputs, and trying to feed those into the pro-logic receiver, by using an adapter. BAD idea.

The speaker level outputs are amplified, and feeding those to unamplified inputs will/may cause serious damage to your PL receiver. You need to use RCA line-level pre-outs on your 5.1 receiver to do this.

11. Tom Scholfield

There are no RCA preouts on my 5.1 reciever. I would turn down the surround speakers almost all the way so that the level of output was fairly low.

12. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

Tom, trying to amplify an amplified signal is definately NOT A GOOD THING> Were just trying to save you from blowing up any equipment. first off, if you did hook it up, [speaker out to line in] then your 2nd receiver (prologic) will max out (clip) , and your speakers might blow.
    With no preouts on your 5.1, you will have to get a converter, or sell both receivers and buy a new one with 7.1

you could hook up the analog outs on you dvd player to the pro logic receiver but calibrating would suck.

if you had 2 outs on your dvd player, you could have one digital going to 5.1 receiver then another going to prologic receiver, again calibration will be a pain, but you can hook up speakerrs however you want with this setup

13. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

wull, dayng. sumbuddy 'splain wut heez doin' to muh or sumptin'.

got a link?

14. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Tom,

It will work, if you use the Russound item from Jim’s link, or a speaker-to-line converter for car stereos from someplace like Radio Shack. The trick will be to keep the output signal level low, as you’ve already figured out, so as not to overdrive the converter or the inputs of the Pro-Logic receiver. Also, the Russound piece appears to have in-line resistors, to help pad down the signal.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

15. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Scott, did you see my post? That's all he's doing.

Trying to do EX processing with a PL processor, but he doesn't have pre-outs to do it with.

16. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

yeah, i still don't really understand, though

17. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I couldn't find a link I was thinking of that explains it quite well, but I will paraphrase:

EX/ES matrix processing creates a 6th channel between the surrounds. Basically, it sees sounds that are the same in both channels, and puts that in a speaker behind you, since that's where it would be imaging, though not as well. This is the same function as good-old prologic used to create a center channel. So you can take an old pro-logic receiver, and send your two surround outputs, and set the receiver into 3-channel front-only mode, and it will just take your surrounds, and run it through there and spit out a center channel as well as the two new sides. Run your speakers off that, and now you have 6.1, even if your 5.1-only receiver doesn't support it. Thats basically what he's trying to do, except that he doesn't have the pre-outs to do it.

18. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

thank you very much mr. wiggles. now i see.