What's new

Speaker wire termination options for Paradigm Studios? (1 Viewer)

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
I currently have bare wire going to my Paradigm Studio 80s, and with all the recent shuffling around of equipment I've decided it's about time I terminated these speaker wires with something. I've heard that Paradigm speakers are quirky in that you have to have a certain size terminator to fit correctly, but I don't remember if this is for spades or bananas or what. Can somebody enlighten me on this? What are my options as far as terminating these speaker wires so that they'll fit in the binding posts of my Paradigm Studio 80s?

To moderators: if this is more of a tweaking and connections thread feel free to move it to the appropriate forum. I was just hoping to get more interest and advice from this board and it is somewhat speaker-related, so I put the thread here.

wayne p

Stunt Coordinator
The Studio series has over-sized binding posts and as such require over-sized spades. I use Ultralink Pro-spade/4P on my 100's as they use a compression method, so no crimping or solder is required. They also accept any standard single banana. Again my preference is Ultralink as they offer good quality at a reasonable price.

Wayne

BobRoulier

Second Unit
I spoke with some one at kimber today about using bananas or bare wire and was told that If I plan on keeping the wires connected and not always switching them around then bare wire will give you a better connection, bananas are more convent but once you get settled clamp those babies down and keep the insulation close to the post;)
Bob

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
Actually, one more thing: I'm having a helluva time trying to find a place that sells these. Wayne, can you point me to a good online site to buy these spades?

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
The Paradigm Reference Series binding posts are 3/8"s, or 11/32" diameter.

The Monitor line, v2, uses 5/16" diameter spades.

I was able to use the same spades I used for my old Monitors 7's on my Studio 40's. Go figure. It was a tight fit for the 40's, but that is good. For the CC Studio center I had to file away a very small amount of the spade in order to get it to fit. The spades I use are the Analysis Plus T-1 spade, a 5/16" solid chunk of milled copper, and silver plated.

Paradigm tech service told me to try the T-1 spade on the 40's BEFORE I started filing, as they said they would probably fit, albeit very snuggly. And they were right.

PS -- all dimensions listed are from Paradigm tech service.

BOK

wayne p

Stunt Coordinator
Yohan, I do not know where to buy ultralink on line. They do have a dealer locater on their site Link Removed
Wayne

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks