speaker wire terminals

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BobHaymond, Mar 9, 2002.

1. BobHaymond

BobHaymond Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG] I am in the process of constructing a HT setup; with much help from this forum. I have 12AWG stranded in the walls for a 7.1 system. I am somewhat daunted by how to terminate these wires. For trials sake, I got a couple of banana plugs at RadioShack; they seem to plug into the Onkyo but not into the CSW MC300 speakers. Both have screw terminals with holes in their middle. HOWEVER, these plugs were crimp on and the insulation caps were difficult for me to handle. I would not feel confident that I had done this process sufficiently well; pay all this loot for a system then shoot it down the tube with shaky terminals.
    Finnally to a question: I would appreciate help on terminals which are clutz proof! I am quite occaisionally and painfully faced with the difference between mathematicians and engineers [mathematicians rarely come out on top![​IMG] ]

2. Dave Gates

Dave Gates Agent

Bob,
    Take a look at these Acoustic Research compression style banana plugs.
    http://www.araccessories.com/pro/sub...sub=17&prod=64
    The textured barrel of the plug, unscrews into two pieces. You then feed your wire through the lower half, and then flare the wire strands out around the lower barrel. You then screw the two halfs back together, and presto, you have a finished banana plug. BTW this compression style plug is reusable, so if you move your equipment/speakers and have to redo your wiring, you don't need to buy new connectors.
    I used these for my entire system, and they work great. I picked them up at my local Lowe's home improvement store, for about $10 for 2 pair (1 black pair, 1 red pair). The pack also includes a plastic slip-on spreader, that you can put over the barrel end of the plug. This spreader keeps the two ends of the wire together and perfectly spaced, so that they can slip into the black and red binding posts at the same time.
    Hope this helps.

3. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

And it just may be that the speakers come with a plug in the binding post terminal (some European code) that need to be removed for banana plugs; take a look.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Bob: If the dual plugs (xxx-308) from Radio Shack dont fit the spaceing, go for the single plugs (xxx-306?) that are nearly identical to the AR ones Dave pointed out. Fairly simple to use. (and about $5 per set). Highly recommended.

5. BobHaymond

BobHaymond Stunt Coordinator

I'm on thanx! BH