What's new

speaker wire suggestions for Studio 20's (1 Viewer)

Salvador

Second Unit
what is a good brand to use for my paradigm studio 20's??? I'm using Audio Spec 16g wire (yes i know you've never heard of it, well me too) and i think that it is holding back my system, a lot. So people with studio 20's, what wire do you use???

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I don't know about the wire holding back your system. perhaps you need to address speaker placement and evaluate your room. or maybe, just maybe, you just don't like the way the speakers sound in your particular environment...what is it that disatisfies you?

Salvador

Second Unit
Chu, i've been browsing a lot in this forum and others and general consensus seems to state that wire doesn't make "that" much of a difference sonically. I posted before about the Audio Spec banana plugs that i've been using were kind of fishy. True enough when i removed them all of a sudden the bass that i remembered from the stores i auditioned came back. Before anyone says anything, i connected those wires in a meticolous, neat and careful manner to make sure there is a good connection. Now after having these speakers for almost a month now i think there is still something lacking in the sound its producing. I'm only 2 months into this home theater hobby so i can't seem to quite put my finger on what's lacking but i'm pretty sure that something is indeed lacking. IMO, there isn't much presence in the music and although the bass did increase after i removed the banana plugs and soldered the wires, i think it is still restrained. I got these 16g Audio Spec wires for free and when i tried searching for this brand on the net, i couldn't find any pertinent information on the company.

I really want to unleash the full potential of my current system and i know, from reading around forums, that in most cases wires don't make much of a difference unless you're using 100K equipment. I really want to change my wires, that's why i'm asking people here about the wires they are using for their studio 20's.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Salvador, how many hours do you have on the 20's?

I thought something was lacking in the sound of my 40's for a while until one day it just "had it" if you know what I mean. I run my babies about 2 hours a day at 80db levels and it took about a month before I really got that well rounded sound I was looking for. Whether it was speaker break-in or my ears adjusted to the sound, I'm not going to go there, but the sound did improve slightly when I changed interconnects and when I hooked up my Amp. These speakers are very revealing and will refect poorly recorded music, but don't give up just yet. I would keep experimenting with different components to see how the sound changes, but do not discount the break-in factor. For me it was pretty significant.

Salvador

Second Unit
i'm roughly estimating around 150 hours of play. You're right about the revealing part. Even mp3 files that are encoded at 192 sound pretty lame. Right now, most of the music i play is ripped from CD's. I use EAC to unsure i get the best rip possible. But i also noticed that some CD's are poorly engineered. This Wham disc that my mom has was so inferiorly produced that i thought i ripped it wrong. Ripped it thrice but i get the same muddy sound. The best of Janet Jackson disc though really shines and also the Blur disc that i have.

I'm presently leaning towards getting Audioquest Slates.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks