Speaker wire splicing--is it ok?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John-e-s, Mar 30, 2002.

1. John-e-s

John-e-s Auditioning

I know the general answer is likely no--but I have a pre-wired speaker location I now need to change. To do this I can use the existing 90% of speaker wire hidden behind the drywall, and splice an extra 10 feet of monster wire to reach the new spot. Will this degrade my sound? Should I just run new, continuous wire under the carpet? The speaker (def tech power tower) is currently about 19 feet from the receiver (B&K 307). Thanks. JS

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Not much difference between that and running in-wall to wall-plates with binding posts. Go for it.

3. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

I'm with Bob. (Izzat you McBob?) Solder or crimp your extra speaker cable in line for a good, long lasting, trouble free connection.

Twist and tape = not recommended!

4. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

S
    Glad to hear this as well....I thought I ruined my 14G in wall wire run when stapling it to the truss in the basement. Staple went right through and thought I'd have to re-run if I did too much damage.

Glad to hear you agree with splicing. As it turns out not a lot of damage was done, so I left it and all appears fine.