Speaker wire size for 80' to 100' run

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David W Collier, Jun 23, 2002.

1. David W Collier

I plan to put speakers on my boat dock sometime this summer. The speaker wire will need to be 80' to 100' long to reach from the house. What size wire should I run?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

hmmmmmm...salt water? well i'd consider a 12 gauge wire that can be buried underground (even if you don't) partsexpress.com should have something. what kind of connections to the speakers? if spades, you might want to look at nice solid gold plated ones, crimp then solder and slide some heat shrink covering the joint. shouldn't be expensive.

3. David W Collier

Thanks Chu. I have already installed a 3/4" conduit in the ground for the wire. Would you still use 12 guage wire?

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

14 gauge, 100ft underground for $18 at http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd..._ID=2912&DID=7
    12 gauge, 100ft underground for $26 at http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd..._ID=2934&DID=7
    no big thing either way. don't forget you'd need two rolls now!
    might be able to find the stuff at home depot or a local hardware store
    Of course you could always get Kimber Monocle-X which for 30 meters would run you in the neighborhood of $54,000, but i'm not sure if that's for a pair. Then you could enjoy the benefits, as Kimber states, of...

5. David W Collier

Thanks for the info on Kimber. I would have to get a 2nd mortgage on the house to use Kimber, but I am sure I will be able to hear the difference as the other boats & jet skis run by.
    Since it will be inside the conduit, I think I will go with 12 guage from Home Depot.
    Thanks again.