What's new

Speaker Wire/Setup/Receiver Question (1 Viewer)

Livebythesword

Auditioning
Real Name
Zac Pal
In my house I have 2 speakers upstairs and one down. The three speakers are fairly large. I have a problem when i turn my receiver close to max it throws it into protect because I think I am getting current back into the receiver somehow (Maybe because of the length of the wire). I am using 10 gauge wire and i was wondering if I should lower the gauge or if there is something else up.

Thanks!

craig_curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Craig
how do you have them wired? is one on a center channel, or do you have the third speaker on a same connect as one of the other two?

I'm not an electronics master by any means, but it sound like an impedence issue, where speakers are drawing more power than the receiver can push. Just a guess. try removing the odd speaker (from downstairs) and do the loud volume and see if it still drops into protect.

Livebythesword

Auditioning
Real Name
Zac Pal
Yea i was thinking it was the speakers... the receiver is in a sad state of affairs as well but how it is wired is the downstairs speaker is on a separate channel than the two upstairs ones. I tried to take out the downstairs and it still hits protect.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Then it is the pair of upstairs speakers causing the problem. What is the impedance of the upstairs speakers? How are the pair of speakers wired? What is the lowest impedance your receiver is capable of driving?

-Robert

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Long wires don't cause the amp to go into protect. Using smaller wire will make no difference. Either your speakers are too low in impedance for your amp, or there is a short somehwere, or your amp doesn't have enough power to make it as loud as you like.

I've never been anywhere near max on my amp, and I can't because the resulting structural damage to my neighborhood would result in me being lynched.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
S205449
Recent bookmarks