Speaker Wire Recommendations...Help!!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by John Doh, Aug 6, 2003.

1. John Doh

John Doh Stunt Coordinator

I need speaker wire recommendations to get the most out of my system. Here are the components being powered..

JBL Studio series speakers..
    S-Center II
    S-38 II (Fronts)
    S-36 II (Surrounds)
    S-120 II
    Powered by Kenwood VR-7080 THX Receiver

I only need approximately 10 feet for each of my fronts, and 30 feet for the surrounds, and the wire is going through the walls. Also, how would you recommend connecting the sub, and what kind/brand of cable? I am going to need 30 feet of cable for it. It also is going to be routed through the walls.

Please help with a good recommendations that don't cost over $150. Thanks!

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

For in-wall wiring, building code in your location may specifiy wire that's CL2/CL3 rated, the purpose of which is to meet fire retardency codes. A call to your local building dept. can indicate if this is indeed the case. In either case, I'd just pick up some 12 gauge material which may be available at Home Depot, Lowes, partsexpress.com, etc. You can always run the in-wall wiring between 'outlets' that you've strategically placed which makes for a cleaner look.

With regards to a sub cable, you've several choices. You could simply pick up some coax (copper center conductor) that's already terminated in F connectors and then just pick up some RCA-F adapters. Or you can look around for ready made cable in the length you need. Partsexpress may have everything you're looking for. The Shack, Target, Wallmart, etc. may have sub cables from a variety of manufacturers (AR, Monster, etc.). A sub cable merely needs to be shielded and has the very easy task of handling frequencies below about 120 Hz. Piece of cake. You'll be well under $150 which leave you enough for 2 pies (I'll take onions/mushrooms), beer, a DVD of your choice and money left over. Another interesting place for cables is trianglecables.com.
    You'll do fine.

3. John Doh

John Doh Stunt Coordinator

Thank you very much! Great info.