What's new

Speaker Wire Problem (1 Viewer)

Xander H

Agent
So I've been refinishing my basement and one of the rooms down there I decided to make into a home theater room. I didn't know what all I was going to buy hardware wise but I ran all the speaker wire behind the drywall for my 7.1 setup.

I had planned on putting the receiver dead center under the TV in my entertainment center, but when I picked up my Pioneer 1015TX I set it in that spot and realised that it wouldn't have near enough ventilation there (only 2 inches of clearance for it and it gets really hot).

So I've got an audio pier that will work fine for it, but the problem is that it'll be about 7 foot further than I had planned and I'll need about 10 foot of extra wire coming out of the wall for 6 of the 7 speakers in order to make it reach.

I'm a big newbie when it comes to home theater equipment so this may not be as big a problem as I think but I'm wondering if there's a piece of hardware I can plug the wire coming out of the wall into and run wire from that to the receiver, or if I need to try to splice extra wire onto the end of each one of em.

If I do need to splice the wire does anyone have any suggestions for how to do that properly without losing a ton of sound quality? I went top notch and bought some of the best wire I could find so I'd hate to screw it all up just because I had to add extensions to the end of each one.

Thanks for the help!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Welcome to the Forum, Xander!

There are wall plates you can buy with binding posts. You can find them at Radio Shack, most big-name hardware stores and on-line at suppliers like Parts Express.

Wall plates will look nice, especially if they are not hidden by the equipment, butwill cost quite a bit more than splicing. As far as the best way to splice, check my Comprehensive Guide to Wire Splicing.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

chris_everett

Second Unit
I try to avoid splicing when possible, but if you must, you might as well take advantage and add a nice looking wall plate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks