What's new

speaker wire placment (1 Viewer)

Matt Weldy

Second Unit
Because of a pipe running through what is supposed to be a hollow wall. I had to drop the speaker wire through the ceiling in the adjacent utility room. Where the speaker wall falls is right beside the water heater. I have the wire tacked as far away from the heater as I can but it cant me more 8 to 10 inches away. What I am wondering is if the water heater will put out enough heat to hurt or melt the speaker wire. It is not inwall wire its just the 12 ga stuff from home depot. Thanks for your help just dont want my theater to burn down my house.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
As a rule, water heaters have warning labels that specify how far to place it from flamable materials. Whatever that distance is, you should be able to place the wire there without fear of it melting.

8 inches away is probably enough.

For your piece of mind, evem if it melts the wire, it should not ignite it. If this still worries you, get some electrical flex-tubing and run the wire inside it where it comes close to the WH.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks