Speaker wire length

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Tenniswood, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Rob Tenniswood

Rob Tenniswood Stunt Coordinator

Okay, so I'm getting my new reciever tomorrow (at least, it should be here then...maybe tuesday). Anyhow, I was wondering how long the wire should be from my two fronts to the reciever. Right now, I don't have a lot of free space (dorm room...), so the speakers are only about 18 inches from the TV (and can't go much farther). However, I don't plan to live in a dorm room forever. So should I cut the wire (it's 18ga) to be about 2 feet long, or should I cut it so it's 6 or 10 or something like that, and leave room to move them later (when I'm out of my dorm room...). Is there a noticeable sound quality difference as the wire gets longer?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    No, there should not be a really noticable difference between 2' and 10'. Since you won't need the 10', there's no real benefit to having it, not to mention that wire has to go somewhere, and coiling it up on the floor is never a really good thing. Wire is pretty cheap, you can always get more later. I would leave an extra foot or two (say 4') for moving things around now and again.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

get just enough length to complete the run. extra wire laying around is a hassle and as john said, coiling is probably a bad idea (creates magnetic field) anyway.

also, you 18g is WAY too thin! go to home-depot and get some thicker stuff. however, consider what kind of binding posts your receiver and speakers have - it may require you to also purchase some banana plugs (which wouldn't be a bad thing either).

4. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

>get just enough length to complete the run. extra wire laying around is a hassle and as john said, coiling is probably a bad idea (creates magnetic field) anyway.
    ====
    Yes, it makes an inductor, rolling off the HF. Of course if they sound too bright to start with...... [​IMG]
    ====
    >also, you 18g is WAY too thin! go to home-depot and get some thicker stuff. however, consider what kind of binding posts your receiver and speakers have - it may require you to also purchase some banana plugs (which wouldn't be a bad thing either).
    ====
    Not necessarily. The wire only needs to be large enough to pass the max current required with a low voltage (dB) drop (VD). 18ga is plenty sufficient for a 10ft each way run for up to 100W/8ohms, so unless he has a high power/channel receiver or 4ohm speakers it's fine. Of course larger will have even less VD, but at 18ga/10ft/8ohms you're already at the point of diminishing returns.
    FWIW, solid core is superior to stranded WRT voltage drop and longevity WRT corrosion, and the connection is the 'big deal' in the wiring. Crimped silver plated ring tongue connectors secured with silver plated screws or bolts with an electrolytic paste is the ideal, but not possible without mods, so the closest you can come to this the better.
    GM

5. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I always cut a little extra for speaker wire just in case. With my recent baby proofing of my HT I'm glad I did. I made some conversions and didn't even have to get anymore speaker wire. Saved me time with is usually more important than money...

6. Graham Martin

Graham Martin Stunt Coordinator

Just make sure they are all the same length. If you have an odd configuration in the dorm, don't have one wire be 2 feet and the other be 14 feet. (Usually happens wehn you have to put your receiver closer to one speaker than the other!)

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

8. Graham Martin

Graham Martin Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I know the measurable difference is small, but I always do it as part of "best practices." I will have to swap some out one day and run a phase test. :)

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Graham - FYI: you are not allowed to list your gear in your signature, it complicates the search function.