speaker wire ideas

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by KevinCAR, Dec 13, 2005.

1. KevinCAR

KevinCAR Extra

Dont know if this is in the right forum but i have a question. I am going to mount 2 rear speakers to the roof right behind my counch for 5.1 but what can i use to mount the wires to the roof? I am going to paint the wires white to match the roof but what can i use to atach the wires to the roof? I was thinking tacks but they wont hold. Also i have to run both the wires down one wall also. Any ideas?

2. Yong Chan

Yong Chan Stunt Coordinator

Staples....3M makes these brackets with removable adhesive in white.....

The most elegant choice would be to run wire behind your drywall from the attic if possible. It's not as difficult as it may seem....

YC

3. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

BTW, 5.1 ideally has the surround speakers mounted almost directly to the SIDES of your seating location and just slightly to the rear, not directly behind it. Look here for placement:

Dolby Labs

4. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

Kevin --
    There are a large number of products out there designed just for what you want to do. As YC mentioned the big-box home centers will have some of them. Some of the advertising sponsors here sell them online, for example:
    http://cableorganizer.com/surface-raceways/#A
    Many home theater online shops and some online cable sellers will have at least a couple options. Just do a few searches on things like "cable raceway" or the brandname of a few products and you'll see lots of options.

5. KevinCAR

KevinCAR Extra

thanks all but this will be on my main level of a 2 storey house so i cant do the wires throught the attic. I would love to hide them like that though.

as for the 5.1 yes these will be actually on each side of the couch when mounted, i kind of describe it worng of how it will be.

also i am in canada so whats the norm in the states is usllay a pain in the ass to find in canada. Anybody from canada that did the same or knows of some places?

Thanks for all of your advide so far.

also the 3m product my ceiling has stuco on it so its not a flat surface at all, and its not possible to mount to the wall, well 1 speaker i could but def not both.

6. KevinCAR

KevinCAR Extra

BUMP

7. derekBannatyne

Can't you just buy white speaker wire? I know they have cheap white 16 gauge stuff at radio shack for I think $18 for a 100 feet.

8. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

Yep, you can get that and it will work. However, most folks advise the use of heavier wire, especially for anything over just a few feet. I personally wouldn't use anything less than 14 and 12 is my general purpose speaker wire. 100' spool of 12 gauge should cost $35-$50. Long runs might warrant 10 guage or shielded wire at 12.