Speaker Wire Guage

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James_C, Dec 28, 2001.

1. James_C

James_C Agent

I still consider myself a newbie so bare with me...

I have Def Tech BP8b's for my mains and I just received Def Tech BP2X surrounds for X-mas. I currently have 12 guage speaker wire running to my mains. Should I still use 12 guage for my surrounds or should I use 14??? My problem is that it will be hard to hide 12 guage under the carpet when I run it to my surrounds. Will I hear a difference??

Thanks!!

2. dougW

dougW Stunt Coordinator

Well, technically, since there is resistance (loss) on every signal conduction, you should use the 12 gauge, since it's a longer run. Can your ears tell a difference? Maybe, maybe not. The 14 will probably work since there's not as much resistance on speaker signals as power. how long are your surround wires, 25 feet?

Another nice solution might be flat speaker wire, color keyed.

Lex

3. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

Ditto for me. You can get flat 12-gauge wire from, I think, www.onecall.com.

4. James_C

James_C Agent

The speaker wire will be roughly 45 feet (routing it around the room)for the rear left and about 30 feet for the rear right.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Several high-end speaker sites (not trying to sell wire) recommend:

0-10 feet: 16 ga

10-20 feet: 14 ga

20+ feet: 12 ga

So the longer runs want THICKER wire, not thinner.

But to get real-world: your rear speakers are still considered "effect" speakers for most movies. They do not carry dialog or critical sounds, and the sounds they do carry are often duplicated by the fronts. This means you can get away with 14 ga and not notice any difference.

Hope this helps.