Speaker Wire Gauge

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by bob_andrew, Jul 21, 2002.

1. bob_andrew

bob_andrew Auditioning

[​IMG] Just picked up a pair of Definitive Technologies BP30
    speakers. I was wondering what gauge wire should i get. Its been my experience that with speakers that can handle hefty amounts of power you should go with heavy gauge wire
    say 10 or 8 gauge but thats my opnion anyone with any thoughts on this ???

2. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

I have used 12guage, 16 guage, and biwired 16guage. on short runs(under 50ft) I cannot hear any difference between any of these. If there is a huge price jump between the wire sizes then stick to the smaller guage. It is not worth it. If there is like a $5 dollar difference between the two then you might as well get the larger guage. I use 16guage biwired. Its about 4 dollar a foot retail, but I get it for free.

3. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

No need to go any larger than 12 gauge. Larger wires cost more, are harder to work with, and most importantly don't offer any performance advantage.

4. shane_watson

shane_watson Stunt Coordinator

i agree with mark i use 12 guage for my mains and center,16 guage for the surrounds,as long is it doesnt exceed 25 feet then i would use 12 for the rear also.

5. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

Actually, to prevent high frequency attenuation its important to use a larger gauge for the rear. I would use 12 all around.

6. Andrew Santos

Andrew Santos Stunt Coordinator

i just opened up our deftech center channel yesterday, because i was curious [​IMG] the internal wiring was pretty thin! like 16 or 18 gauge, i was pretty surprised.
    to answer your question. i have no idea what you should use, but i'd think 8 gauge would be overkill.

7. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

12 Gauge will be plenty for most speakers and runs.

IMO, 10 gauge and 8 gauge is way overkill because were talking 1200 watts/200 amps (12v) capable for lengths of 3-5'.

If you go with 12 gauge it cuts those numbers in half at 600 watts / 100 amps which can still be thought of as overkill but it gives you plenty of extra "bandwidth".

8. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

Hi, Bob.
    Below is a link to an absolutely wonderful web page on speaker wire including a table of minimum gage to run depending on length and impedance.http://www.sundial.net/~rogerr/wire.htm
    As you can see 10 GA is more than adequate for just about anybody's speaker needs. 12 GA will work for most people, and 14 would be OK for the majority of users.
    Wire away!

9. bob_andrew

bob_andrew Auditioning

Thanks for all your help guys [​IMG]
    Bob

10. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

In viewing the link to the wire website, has anyone else seen their Home Depot wire turn green???

(mine looks fine)

11. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

silly question.....on average...how long and how thick are the wires in the voice coil? would the voice coil wire being thin be just as bad as having the actual regular speaker wire being thin?

12. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I think the voice coil wire is silver or maybe silver coated copper. It is probably very conductive as well as being flexible because it has to move around.

Most drivers can't handle power greater than what their voice coil's wire can handle anyways so no worries.

I think it's dumb to assume home depot wire isn't good just because it might turn green. It can take years before oxidation and I still don't know if it turning green will even affect the sound.

13. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

"In viewing the link to the wire website, has anyone else seen their Home Depot wire turn green???"

Hi, Steve. It was not Home Depot but I indeed experienced wire turning green. It was an off-brand 10 GA very thickly insulated speaker wire. This happened over a period of 10 years or so.

14. Shawn_McCann

Shawn_McCann Auditioning

I spent a few bucks on 12 gauge wire for my front and center speakers, then opened up the cabinets to find what is probably 16 gauge or thinner wire inside. Does it make sense to replace the thin internal wiring in a speaker cabinet with heavier gauge wire? Would it be a subtle, or noticeable improvement, or no difference at all?