Speaker Wire Gauge Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Kane, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

I biwired my mains from the get-go, and now have reverted by replacing the "gold" span plate behind the posts. I still have the biwires -- Monster XP -- connected to both sets of spkr posts. Let's just call the Monster XP 15 gauge, maybe 14? --does this effectively result in 12 gauge or thereabouts?

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

thereabouts...BTW...ever see the Monster 2.2s cables? check out their price? Ever wonder just what is it that Monster has in those two little cans on either end? Just what is Monster doing to justify the high prices on those wires? Well me bucko, on the side that says amp, if you cut the can open there's nothing more in there than potting compound. One the side where it says speaker there's more potting compound and a 100 ohm resistor wired in series. That's it! So Bill, if you buy them and really put some power across those wires, you'll actually break them in [​IMG]

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Ah, Bill and Chu together again! [​IMG]
    Bill,
    The general consensus is that doubling any size wire has the effect of increasing three guage sizes. So if your unknown dual wire is 14ga., you have 11ga. total.
    Chu,
    Pretty courageous or you to chop up those expensive cables! Pardon my ignorance, but what is “potting compound”, and what do you suppose (ha ha!) it is supposed to do?
    A 100-ohm resistor? Hmmm... [​IMG] If in-line resistance is what you want, I think you could get the same effect by switching out to small-gauge wire! Some 26-guage telephone stuff, maybe...
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

monster XP is 16g

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Potting compound is used to encapsulate things, fix them in place, keeping them safe from the outside from things like water, shock, electrical discharges (to a point)...thermally conductive...some are pliable, some are epoxies. Of course it also adds a little heft so the consumer thinks there's something magical in there. But just think, now you know what they're using. Maybe if you use a 150 ohm resistor you'll have Uber-Monster cable.

6. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

regarding speaker wire size, I call it "cable creep."

In early Hi-Fi days, we started out with 18-gauge lamp zip cord. Then 16AWG came along and we now see homebuilder elec'l subs almost universally using 16AWG bulk-spool wire for custom in-walls. Now the practical consensus suggests "12gauge all around."

So leaving my Monster XP doubled up gives me 13gauge; big deal. I'll take it apart if ever I need another four banana plugs.

When I disassembled my SVS sub to install the new, improved driver (thanks, SVS) I was shocked shocked to see how puny the connecting wires are. But OEM, right?

bill

7. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

Maybe you guys can answer this for me. Will getting rid of my 16 gauge rat shack wire and replacing it with 12 gauge make a noticeable difference? The longest run is about 15 feet to the rear speakers.

8. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Noticeable difference? Most likely, not, especially on the rears.
    Some day, tho, you may buy some 12gauge in bulk and then just replace them all around. Here's a post from HTF admnistrator Bob McElfresh ON WIRE

9. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

i just rewired my mains with 12g rockford fosgate car audio speaker wire. i don't notice any difference audibly between it and the tripled 18g i was using...but it looks a lot neater having the 2 sets of wires instead of 5.