Speaker wire for rear speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis Ellis, Jul 4, 2002.

1. Dennis Ellis

Dennis Ellis Stunt Coordinator

I will be attempting to hook up my rear speakers within the next few days. Here are my plans.
    The wire will come out of the back of the receiver and go into a radio shack wall plate. Then I will need in wall wire @ approximately 50ft per speaker. It will then go into another radio shack plate. Next, it will come out of the plate in the rear of the room and into each speaker with additional speaker wire.
    1. What gauge/type of wire is recommended for a run that's in wall/through attic?
    2. Should I just make all the connections with in wall wire or does that matter?
    3. Could I use cat5 wire? Would it be better? I can get an unlimited amount.
    Any input is appreciated.
    BTW the rears are jbl n24's.
    Dennis
    Here's my other post. PLease look at it if you have a chance.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=80488

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

12 gauge through and through. what goes through the wall should meet your local building code. the in-wall rated wire generally doesn't have as many strands as stuff you get from Home Depot (Carol i believe makes their wire) or Sound King available from www.partsexpress.com. You certainly could use cat5 if you wanted to but you'd want to run and combine enough so that you had an effective 12 gauge.

3. Dennis Ellis

Dennis Ellis Stunt Coordinator

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

the price differential is trivial...few dollars...get the 12 and you won't be 2nd guessing yourself down the road