What's new

Speaker Wire - Different Question (1 Viewer)

Dan_Myers

Agent
While I was loading up a trailer full of scrap Aluminum and Stainless Steel I came across about 200' feet of 4-12 cable and 150' of 3-12. Some of it is belden and others is name's I have never heard of. Anyway, it is 12awg all wrapped up in a thick black insulation. It says OK to bury, UV safe. It is all thick strand stuff, not like speaker cable, but is there any reason why I couldn't use this for my speakers? It would all be run through the walls so flexability and size of the cable and all of that doesn't really matter. I figured I could just run it through the walls and strip the black insulation off of it a few feet into the wall, attach some banana plugs and be good to go.
Anyone?
I was thinking if I ran the 4-12 to each of my surrounds I would have an extra pair of wires in the back by each surround that I could use if I ever go to 7.1 surround.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
Sure, you can use it. Any old strand of copper will work for speaker cable.
Speaker wire...electrical wire, it's basically the same thing....just don't use any speaker wire you find to replace the cord on your shop-vac and you should be OK.

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
If your trying to save money ,I guess go with that.But I would go with good wire like Kember Kable. Never use cheap cable or speaker wire,your only cheating yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks