1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Speaker Wire - Different Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan_Myers, Sep 7, 2001.

1. Dan_Myers

Dan_Myers Agent

While I was loading up a trailer full of scrap Aluminum and Stainless Steel I came across about 200' feet of 4-12 cable and 150' of 3-12. Some of it is belden and others is name's I have never heard of. Anyway, it is 12awg all wrapped up in a thick black insulation. It says OK to bury, UV safe. It is all thick strand stuff, not like speaker cable, but is there any reason why I couldn't use this for my speakers? It would all be run through the walls so flexability and size of the cable and all of that doesn't really matter. I figured I could just run it through the walls and strip the black insulation off of it a few feet into the wall, attach some banana plugs and be good to go.
    Anyone?
    I was thinking if I ran the 4-12 to each of my surrounds I would have an extra pair of wires in the back by each surround that I could use if I ever go to 7.1 surround.

2. Dan_Myers

Dan_Myers Agent

TTT

3. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Sure, you can use it. Any old strand of copper will work for speaker cable.
    Speaker wire...electrical wire, it's basically the same thing....just don't use any speaker wire you find to replace the cord on your shop-vac and you should be OK.

4. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

If your trying to save money ,I guess go with that.But I would go with good wire like Kember Kable. Never use cheap cable or speaker wire,your only cheating yourself.