speaker wire & connectors question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Takosan, Nov 25, 2001.

1. Takosan

Takosan Stunt Coordinator

I just spent the whole afternoon rewiring my speakers. I used homedepot 12AWG to bi-wire left/right/center & used 14AWG for the 35' run to the surrounds.

My fingers are numb from all the twisting & re-twisting. I think they are in pretty good but I wonder if I should bother for plugs & such? The binding posts on my receiver (Marantz SR-7000) is so close together & fitting two 12AWG on each post was a nightmare.

Are plugs better alternative to connecting them raw(?) to the posts & if so which type of plugs?

Takosan

2. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

Most people, including myself, will use bannana plugs since it makes it easier to connect/disconnect the wires.

3. MarkPayton

MarkPayton Stunt Coordinator

Takosan, I know exactly how you feel, having spent a portion of the last weekend re-wiring my system! I invested about $30 in a few sets of banana plugs, which have made a huge difference. One suggestion, you may wish to go with the screw-type connectors for banana plugs (put the wire in, screws on side clamp it in for connection), since these are reusable as opposed to soldering or crimp-type connectors. Parts Express has good ones from Dayton Audio. Good luck!

4. Takosan

Takosan Stunt Coordinator

Mark,

Are those Dayton ones stackable? Not getting into biwiring is better or not I went ahead & ran two sets since I wasn't going to climb in the crawl space again ;-)

Takosan

P.S. Do you know the part # of what you used?