What's new

Speaker wire, banana plugs or bare wire? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I am getting ready to pick up my new Marantz SR-9200 receiver. I am going to rewire everything. One of my questions is, should I get speaker cable with banana plugs or just do what I have always done, just use the bare wire? The only bad thing about bare wire is I heard that after time it oxidizes and deteriorates your sound. I don't know how true that is but I would think it would take many years for that to happen. Also, I see alot of threads about BETTER CABLES, are they of good quality? I was going to buy some Monster Z series.

Marc H

Second Unit
Now this is just my opinion from experience and I'm sure lot's would argue it but I am convinced that, assuming the receiver/amplifier and speakers use proper binding posts, properly tightened, bare wire is the way to go.

The minimum of contact surfaces, the minimum of signal loss or change to the signal IMHO.

Oxygen-free copper will still oxidize eventually but only on the exposed surface but not where the binding post applies pressure.

I have some fairly good, high resolution floorstanding speakers, triwired, and one day for fun I removed a small fortune in plugs and spades from the wires and was very pleasantly surpised how everything improved. Should've done it years ago.

bryan_chow

Agent
It's really up to you. I use bananas because it's neater and easier to attach. It can be quite tight at the back of the receiver so it's easier to attach the wire to the banana, then just plug it in. Also less chance of lose bits of wire causing a short.
I use Monster (M1000s) because I got them free. :) If I have to pay I'd probably get something cheaper. The general consensus is that Monster is overpriced.
I just looked at http://www.partsexpress.com
Bryan

Frank Chang

Agent
Jeff,
I just went through a similar thought process and it may be overkill but there are some products to decrease the oxidation process, and to clean up existing wires and connections. One company making some of these products is Caig (www.caig.com) with two products deoxit and pro gold. I just tried them and I can't tell you that I heard any difference but I could see a difference on some older oxidized wires and if it prevents further oxidation over time it makes sense to me.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Thanks guy's, I am going to think about it some more, but I will most likely stick with bare wire. I have been happy with that for years and it is 2 less connections between my receiver and speakers. I have always lived by the rule, less connections between your gear will result in a cleaner signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks