What's new

Speaker Wire and general HT stuff (1 Viewer)

Jeff James

Agent
Just wondering if I am cheating my system with the wire I am using for audio. Here is what I will be running:
Marantz AV9000 THX Ultra Certified Pre-amp
Marantz MM9000 THX Ultra Certified 5-channel Amplifier
Klipsch RF-3 Reference series Fronts
Klipsch RC-3 Center Channel
Klipsch Synergy Surrounds
Mitsubishi 55807 55" HD RPTV
Sony ns700p - pro scan DVD player
I'm basically running Monster cable everywhere. I bought it all at a higher end shop in town called Tweeter which a lot of you may be familiar with. I'm not sure what gauge they sold me...but it's pretty damn thick. The wires on the end are free though and that is what worries me...there are no connectors or bannana-type plugs as I've seen from browsing specs of other HT setups. Am I cheating myself by not having these type of connectors? I won't be able to change out the surround sound speaker wire since I had to run the stuff through the walls and attic. Tweeter sold me the monster cable per foot that they use themselves for running drops in custom setups....it is some heavy shielded stuff but the wires inside aren't super thick.
I'm going to get some high quality interconnects for the pre-amp/amp setup (prolly spend 30-35 per pair and have them custom built by a member of our board here).
So, let me know what your opinion on speaker wire is...I'm sure you guys have some :)
Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well I'm not sure what gauge the Monster is either...I've heard 14-16 gauge but I've never gotten a reply when emailing them. strange. the sheathing is quite thick though and gives the impression that there's more wire than there is. you can terminate this wire as you see fit and there is no right and wrong here. various options, if you've perused this board are in no particular order
1)bare wire
2)tinned bare wire
3)pins
4)bananas
5)spades
3-5 can be had in a few different sizes, usually gold plated for corrosion resistance. for example, in the case of bananas, you can purchase them as pairs and the spacing between pairs differs. you'd need to measure your spacing and choose appropriately. same for spades that can be had in different sized openings. the wire itself can be screwed, soldered, crimped. perhaps your level of expertise with a soldering iron might dictate the approach. i'd imagine you could go to the Shack and find what you're looking for. there are also many online sites such as www.partsexpress.com where you can find a variety of types. Daytons are very nice. There are others. Myself, i do bananas up top and spades at the speaker terminals. audible differences between the choices don't exist. Doesn't mean you can't opt for a more rugged connector to suit your preferences, but don't expect that to translate into 'wow, my soundstage has never sounded like this' no right and wrong here my friend. pick something decent looking and turn your matters to something that matters, like selecting a good microbrew to kick back with.
one last thing...not on wires...you've made an investment there, make sure you protect it by updating your homeowners insurance and getting a good surge suppresor. Mr. Bill Kane has good solid cost-effective suggestions. Search for posts in the tweaks section with his name.

Jeff James

Agent
Awesome advice...thanks for taking the time to reply...I checked my homeowners insurance when I first got my big screen...I think it is time to check it again with all the sound equipment I've added :)
Thanks again....I think I'll leave my damn wires alone for now :)
-J

Jeff James

Agent
Hrmmm...I have $15,000 in coverage for personal property. I added up my equipment cost and that seems to cover the Home Theater...I dunno about my washing machine/refrigerator/dryer and such...HAHA...I think I would laugh if someone stole that stuff and left the Marantz/Klipsch/Mitsu....hehe. Besides, I can live with out clean clothes and cold food...it's the HT that counts right? Or are my priorities outta whack? Ha...you can tell I'm not married.

-J

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, when you're thinking about your audio equipment (even the fridge) and looking at coverage one thing you want to see is if the coverage varies at all under certain scenarios...theft, fire, lightning, etc. Under those situations what happens when you're faced with a loss? Just how are you compensated? Fair market value? Replacement costs? What if you bought say a Denon receiver last year, does the insurance company have the right to have it repaired at their discretion? Do you need receipts? Where are they? What happens if they get burned? Maybe you need photos too? Does all this happen after deductibles? Maybe the deductible for the audio equipment is too high and you need to lower/eliminate it with a rider. How're you covered if you bought something used, or if it may have been a gift?
Lots of questions all needing answers. Some you may get from reading, others you'll need to speak with an agent and run through various scenarios so you can get a better understanding.
For those who've never done so, I recommend they go down to their public library and read up on coverage in Consumer Reports. CR also conducts surveys of peoples experiences with a variety of companies. Maybe yours is at the top, maybe at the bottom.
Also see the following link concerning insurance from your home state. http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/commish/columns/cc0102.html

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
You can usually bump up your coverage for home theater or computer equipment with a low-cost rider. Go for "replacement cost" or they'll depreciate the hell out of you and you won't be able to replace your setup after a loss.

Call your insurance agent or company and get a quote. It shouldn't be much.

Jan

Jeff James

Agent
Called the insurance company and my coverage is all replacement cost under all conditions except rising water. I can live with that and if my place didn't flood after our last devasting tropical storm fiasco, I don't think it ever will...If you look at my house, it's basically sitting on a small hill to keep it from water. I ended up bumping my coverage up by $5,000 just to give me extra peace of mind.

Thanx for the advice guys!

-J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks