What's new

Speaker wire and Banana Plugs questions (1 Viewer)

Tom_Maher

Stunt Coordinator
Due to my need to move my receiver from time to time, especially over the next few months, I purchased Banana plugs for my speaker to receiver connections. Unfortunately, I need 14 (2 for each speaker) connectors, and Best Buy only had 3 sets Acoustic Research ones (12 connectors total, gold plated, 8.99 per set of 4), so I also picked up a set of the Monster Cable ones (4 connectors total, 19.99). My question is, will I notice any difference at all between the two sets (intend to use the Monster ones for my front mains and the Acoustic Research ones for the front center and 4 rear speakers. Additionally, I need to purchase speaker wire for all 7 speakers. I will be running the wire for the 4 surrounds in the walls, and the wire for the mains on the ground. I've heard I should go 12 gauge all the way, but what brand is best? I can get this Monster cable, the Monster XP Speaker Cable (http://www.monstercable.com/productP...in=71&mixtype=) at Best Buy, but no gauge is listed. Should I buy the Monster Cable, or go with something else? Thanks for the help!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Additionally, I need to purchase speaker wire for all 7 speakers. I will be running the wire for the 4 surrounds in the walls, and the wire for the mains on the ground. I've heard I should go 12 gauge all the way, but what brand is best?
Get the cheapest in-wall-rated 12 ga. you can find for the rear speakers. As for the fronts, any high-quality 12ga. is fine. IMO you have to have more than $10k worth of audio equipment before you have to start worrying about the way one speaker wire sounds vs. another. Unless you are in that league, there is no need to go for a “name brand” unless you like it for some reason. Radio Shack’s 12ga. Mega cable is very nice for the price - $1 a foot, last time I checked. Other suitable cablr can be found at a Best Buy, Circuit City or similar, or a local home theater shop.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I use the radio shack gold set screw type bananas and they are much better than the monster cable junk that don't connect right. You won't hear any difference but the RS gold ones are great. They are easy to set up and change if you need to.

Colin-H

Second Unit
I picked up some of the $0.40/ft 12 AWG stuff from http://www.knukonceptz.com/. (The twisted Karma Kable is some of the coolest looking plain-old speaker wire I've seen, I have to admit, but I couldn't justify paying twice as much just because it's twisted and double jacketed.) I also picked up 4 sets of bananas to go into my receiver. I like the look of the all-metal bananas vs. the Radio Shack and AR bananas that have the rubber boot, and they're just as cost effective @ $8 per set of 4. The stuff will be delivered tomorrow, so I'll have a chance to see if it's as good as it looks.

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Tom,

If you have a Home Depot locally, go there and get the 12 ga. speaker cable. I got mine about a month ago for .34/ft.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks