What's new

"Speaker Wire A History...." (1 Viewer)

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
You've certainly stooped to a new low here Jim. I will no longer perpetuate this ridiculousness.
A new low? I simply stated how someone who posts as much as I do about a topic says I'M obsessed! Wait... do you think I am calling you a pervert or something? NO... I was just drawing a parallel with a silly radio show I heard the other day - the pot calling the kettle black, in other words. Anyway... no, my dog was not attacked by a cable, as "intelligent" a snip that was (NOT). But I agree, anyone with skin thicker than a sheet of tissue paper that wishes to discuss this topic without resorting to personal attacks (although I don't consider "calling" a person out on his assertions to PROVE them, a personal attack), I'll be here :)

SanfordL

Stunt Coordinator
So, now that the unpleasantness is done, has anyone tried making their own speakers ala a Risch or any one of the hundreds of other wire guru's out their's formulas and compared them versus boutique wires versus standard 12 guage? I think Chu has been rumbling about doing something like this, but then again, my brain is frazled today, so I might be wrong about the who. If it already happened, can someone point me to the results, because I don't remember finding them.
Is it 5:00 yet ;) . Alright everyone, take it easy out there, and remember, "it is better to be feared than loved." Does that sound like a fun life to you? No, me neither.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I have made dozens of different speaker cables from all kinds of materials and compared them to standard stuff like the Home Depot 4x16 gauge and 12 gauge wires as well as low voltage outdoor wires both 14 and 12 gauge. Many times a larger gauge wire does not perform as well in short/normal runs from the amp terminals to the speakers. There are lots of reasonable things that do quite well at a decent price. If someone is looking for reasonable stuff, I would recommend Link Removed Their Hi-strand 4x16 gauge stuff is quite good for the money. Like any other improvement in audio as one moves up the chain the cost won't be proportional to the increased performance. It certainly does not make sense to spend $1,000 for speaker wire and $1,000 for speakers. Connectors are very important too. They make the electrical connection. I have been able to tell differences in performance with the same wire with cheap connectors and good ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.