Speaker Wire 16GA VS 12 GA

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Sergio S, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Sergio S

Sergio S Extra

Hello, I am currently settnig up my home theater, and for my front speakers I have monster cable XP3FHT THX Wires. For my surrounds, The runs are 50 foot, and 30 feet long. Will it make a difference if I use 16GA from homedepot VS 12GA SoundKing from partsexpress.com. Also, I have the JBL N24 Northwood series speakers as well as an Onkyo 595 DS REceiver. Will 12GA and 16 GA speaker wire work or how would I know if they're not compatible as in knwo the OHMS. Please help, I am trying to make the finishign touches to my hometheater THanks!

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

They (wire sizes) will both work for modest sound volume, but with the 16 gauge wire (any brand) you may notice degradation of the sound at high volume. Equipment will not be harmed by the thinner 16 gauge wire.

The "home theater experts" recommend 12 gauge wire for runs over 20 feet, I personally think you can get away with 16 gauge wire up to 20 feet and 14 gauge wire between 20 and 30 feet.

In all cases the speaker impedance (in ohms) should be equal to or greater than the amplifier output impedance. The higher the amplifier output impedance, the less degradation there will be due to wires being thinner than recommended for their length.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

They (wire sizes) will both work for modest sound volume, but with the 16 gauge wire you may notice degradation of the sound at high volume. Equipment will not be harmed by the thinner 16 gauge wire.

The "home theater experts" recommend 12 gauge wire for runs over 20 feet, I personally think you can get away with 16 gauge wire up to 20 feet and 14 gauge wire between 20 and 30 feet.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm