speaker wire....14 or 12 awg????

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jeff smit, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Jeff smit

Jeff smit Agent

Is there a noticable difference in sound between the two (14/12)? The longest runs will be about 27 feet.

thanks
    Jeff

2. TanT

TanT Stunt Coordinator

probably not [​IMG]

3. Doug Montgomery

Nope

***.trueaudio.com/post_009.htm

***.trueaudio.com/post_007.htm

4. Jeff smit

Jeff smit Agent

Thanks for the replys and links....14 it is

5. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

I agree with the previous posts, but if the price differences isn't all that great and depending on how difficult the routing is, you might want to get the 12s to avoid future upgrade (more powerful amps/lower impedance speakers, etc.) pains.

6. Bill Polley

Bill Polley Second Unit

I agree with the last poster. 12ga will handle more difficult speakers. At 27' the loss may not be noticeable to your ears, but the load on the amp may be a lot. If you have an inefficient speaker that dips to say...3 ohms in the mid bass region (not too uncommon), and you play a track that happens to have a high output at that particular frequency, the load will be greater with 14ga than 12ga.

12ga wire from parts express is very cheap, and will be the safe way to go if you will ever consider changing speakers in the future. Get the Carol in-wall 12ga and don't look back!

7. TedLee

TedLee Agent

how about the other place that has '250ft of 12 gauge for only 27.99 shipped?

does it really matter waht brand it is as long as its 12 gauge?

8. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike

Well, in a word yes. And no. [​IMG]

Brand doesn't matter but the quality of the materials and the construction methods used does.

For example.

Another brand may be "12 gauge OFC cable" but:

Is the jacket flexible and soft or does it have the flexibility of a coat hanger?

Does the jacket strip off easily or is it very "rubbery" and drags and binds?

Is the cable itself made up of many, very fine strands of wire or larger, thicker more coarse wires?

Things like that. [​IMG] The Sound King stuff is nothing special, but it's good stuff, been around awhile and lots of folks use it and it works very well.

Why pay more or risk getting crap to save $5? Now, if it's a B&M store and you can see and touch the stuff before purchasing and it's equal for less money, then go for it.

9. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

10. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I'm not quite so sure that's what Dunlavey said, although if you've got a quote off say Usenet, I'd be happy to see it. Yes, longer runs increase the overall resistance and pose no threat to the amp. If the resistance gets substantial, either through long runs (and I do mean long) or small gauge and starts to become something like a total resistance of 1 or 2 ohms, then basically what happens is that the FR of the amp becomes somewhat non-linear much in the same way that tube amps do with respect to the speaker impedance curves. That and you'll get a bit of HF roll-off.

11. Doug Montgomery

Did you look at the links I posted up earlier?

Murphy gives the formulas to prove about long runs and resistances

Doug

12. JackLonn

JackLonn Agent

How important is it to keep the runs (to the same "locations, i.e.,mains, surrounds, etc...) the same length. Or does it matter at all?

13. Doug Montgomery

IMHO...according to my experience and the mathematical calculations according to Mr. Murphy (see above links and some other links on that site), you are o.k. to vary the lengths. Now, don;t go extreme..like left channel 50 ft and right 5..LOL [​IMG]

14. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

A remember a while ago someone posted a tip they got from a BB salesman. The salesman said that his receiver might not be working correctly if the speaker wires weren't the same length. Since BB salespeople clearly are experts don't risk it by making the wires different length.[​IMG]