Speaker Watts v Receiver Watts

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by GregHC, Apr 8, 2004.

1. GregHC

GregHC Agent

I recently purchased a Pioneer Elite 45tx.
    It's rated 100x7.

The speakers I was looking at are JBL and here is where I'm lost.
    The EC25 Black Ash Northridge Series 2-Way Center Channel Speaker. Power Handling (Watts): 75 Watts Continuous, 300 Watts Peak and Recommended amplifier power (Watts) : 150 Watts

Here is where I'm lost.

100 Watts, on the Pioneer. Is this Continuous or Max?

I'm assuming with the speakersm It can run at 75 watts with no problem and as long as the high peaks don't go past 300 it's fine.

The Power amp? No Clue.

Would my receiver be able to drive speakers like these or would I need to buy amps?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    45Tx will probably deliver 100 continuous X 2, not with all channels driven. With all channels driven, it may be 75w or less, but the reality is, during most average listening, you are likely using only about 15-20w continuous with 100w peaks.

This receiver should have no problem with that speaker. If you are prepared to buy an amp, I'd spend that money on better speakers.

3. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Second Unit

There are two situations you are going to run into.

amp > speaker
    speaker > amp

If the Amp has more power then the speaker can handle then if you turn the volume up to high, you can over power the speakers and damage them.

If you have an amp that has less of a power rating then the speakers and you turn the volume up to high, your amp will clip and you will damage your speakers.

In either event you should be able to tell when the volume is up too high. Lots of distortion and it will sound like sh!t.

The chances that you can actually find and amp and speakers with identical power ratings that you like is probably pretty slim. Also keep in mind that the power specs are probably not accurate, make sure you pic your amp and speaker by how you like the sound, and not the power rating. Keep a handle on the volume and you will be fine.

4. Greg-ST

Greg-ST Stunt Coordinator

That amp/speaker combo shouldn't be a problem at all. I've got the VSX-D912K and my JBL N24II's and N-CenterII love it. Supposedly my receiver can supply a continuos 80 watts into 5 channels. I'm sure I'll rarely hit that peak. My speakers really shine now (they were previously driven by the Kenwood VR-615). They really needed the extra grunt that the Pioneer delivers.

JBL's like a lot of power. However, don't do anything like turning up the volume to insane levels and you should be fine [​IMG]

5. GregHC

GregHC Agent

Thanks for all the info.

I was worried when it says 150 watts recommended that I would end up hurting them since the wattage of the receiver is was 100