What's new

Speaker wattages (1 Viewer)

blu87

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Smythe
I have several speakers that seem to have different wattages. I'd like to know what these mean and if they can be connected to any receiver/stereo or only specific kinds.

Speaker 1 - 8 ohm, 40 watts music power.
Speaker 2 - 8 ohm, 3 watts rated power.
Speaker 3 - 8 ohm, 100 watts max power handling.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Blu - sorry it took a while to spot your post.

The power numbers on speakers are usually the upper limit the manufacturer recommends or damage could result. In truth - your receiver puts out 3-10 watts per channel on average over the course of a movie. But there are huge swings in volume and we have to double the power to increase the volume by 1 db.

I would guess both Speaker 1 and 3 would work fine on nearly any receiver. But speaker 2 ... seems like a PC speaker with limited power handling. I would not hook this up to a room-filling system as you are likely to burn it out.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Note: Power ratings are for reproducing sounds normally heard in nature and reproducing recordings of ordinary performances not containing tremendous amounts of high frequency content such as cymbals.

Turning up the amplifier so high that the sound is distorted, and playing back material with lots of high frequency content, will blow tweeters long before the stated power rating is reached.

Video hints: Video Technicalia Made Easy

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda19798888
Recent bookmarks