What's new

speaker wattage? (1 Viewer)

DannyS

Second Unit
I have 60w speakers, and am getting an amp that is 70w . What will happen? Will it blow the speakers?

Excuse my turn of phrase, I'm pretty new! :)

KyleGS

Second Unit
You should be fine. If you hear distortion turn it down a bit. Don't clip the amp and you should be fine. Either way I would bet that you couldn't overpower a speaker by 10w unless you really work at it or the speaker is terribly overrated.

Joseph_W

Stunt Coordinator
Danny,
This comes up quite often. Quick answer is no, you'll be fine. Actually, the higher the wattage of the amp, the cleaner the power and the less trouble you will be in. How you can really be hurt is pushing 100W speakers with a 35W amp. When amps are pushed too hard they clip (sine waves turn into square waves). Clipping is very harmful to your speakers.

Joe

Scott*E

Stunt Coordinator
Speakers actually sound best when driven almost to their breaking point, kind of like accelerating a sports car's engine just below the red line. By running an amp that's 10 watts higher than the speaker's max rating they'll sound better at lower volume levels. They should be fine. Just remember not to take them into the "red zone". That's when they become dammaged.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks