Speaker Wattage

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by MarkInKC, Aug 9, 2005.

1. MarkInKC

MarkInKC Extra

Okay, I know I'm not half as into this as most of you guys are. I am almost finished with my basement theater, and will be buying a new Yamaha 980W 7.1 Receiver. I have pre-wired for 9.1 (2 Frt, 1 Cntr, 2 SR, 2 SL and 2 Rear.) which was probably over-kill, but I have a couple of questions.

A) Alot of surround sound speakers I am finding (of the ones I can afford) are around 60W max input. I am concerned about plugging 110 watts into these. But I can't seem to find any that are over 100W and still ceiling mountable. Will I be okay if I keep the volume at a reasonable level, or should I find 110W speakers? Or a crossover?

B) Until I can afford a 9.1 Amp, or until they actually start filming in it, can I run both right and both left surrounds into the same channel in the back of the receiver? Same with the rear, can I give the two rear speakers the same signal as the other? I want to utilize my wiring if I can, but don't want to buy 9 speakers, when only 7 will work.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

2. R:o:b

R:o:b Agent

to my knoledge there arent any 9.1 yet (im sure there are but probably $$$$$$$) when looking at wpc make sure u take into concideration efficiency. and 60wpc speaker rated at 90dbs will have the same power as a 120 watts speaker at 87bds. for every +/- 3 dbs the power doubles. with the amp make sure it can handle a 4 ohm load becase if you split the signal u showill cut it from 8 ohms to 4 ohms (makes the amp run hoter and harder).

over powering a speaker is never a problem (as long as your not trying to go deaf). this does leave the posiblity to blow them, but its not likley. only worry about underpowering. this causes clipping and other problems.

kick ass rear speaker
    jsut an option that id like to upgrade to in the future, u should check it out.

i feel like im rambaling so im gonna stop typing. hope this helped, ask more for more advise..

3. John S

John S Producer

Yep, you'll be fine, and I ran for the longest time two sets of side surrounds do to my long room, worked great.

4. MarkInKC

MarkInKC Extra

Thanks, the ohm comment will definately help, I am planning on putting this ina cabinet with a fan that's plugged into the female ac plug in the back so whenever the amp is on, the fan is on blowing the hot air out of the cabinet. I saw a set up like that in a house I was selling, and thougt it was a good idea, he has a huge fan like you mount in your car, or office, but said there were little ones that were cabinet moutnable too. Where can I find that, any idea?

5. MarkInKC

MarkInKC Extra

I would like to post a picture here, but I am at 11 posts, so this is 12. I found a picture of the speaker panel and it says someting switching the ohms. I wish I could a picture...

6. MarkInKC

MarkInKC Extra

This would be 13, I sure would like to post a picture here...[​IMG]

7. MarkInKC

MarkInKC Extra

Look at this, 14, one more and I'll be able to show you the picture, it looks like you can pick from 4 or 6 ohm output. And I was also thinking maybe with this particular unit, the Yamaha HTR-5860, it has "presense speakers, which are supposed to be behind the front speakers. I've got my front ones even with the screen (I would show you a picture, but...) and my Front Surrounds in fron of the viewing position, so I could hook up the presense speakers to the what I was going to use for the front, and hook the front channel to what I was going to use as front surround. I may just have to play with it. But if I do end up hooking both surrounds to a single channel, I should probably set them both (both surrounds) for 6 ohm. That way they would each get 3, instead of 2. RIght? Wow, talk about rambling.

8. Brian_cyberbri

Brian_cyberbri Stunt Coordinator

You could get a low-end receiver with line-outs (or a pre-pro), and run separate amps to power your speakers. That way you could split the 7.1 side-surround left/right signals and run two speakers each side with the same signal.

Or use the receiver to run a portion of the speakers, and separate amp/s to run the surrounds, etc.

9. MarkInKC

MarkInKC Extra

This is 15!!! I can't post a picture until th next one, so I hope this works, I'll try and squeeze this last post past the admin so I can post pictures. They're awfully strict! :-D

10. MarkInKC

MarkInKC Extra

[​IMG]

11. R:o:b

R:o:b Agent

if you want to run the 4 speakers in surround set it to 4. i personaly ahve 4 front speakers so i needed to set my reciever to 4 ohms. no extra fan needed becuase i dont play it that loud (not much above the quarter point). seperate amps is also a great idea. thats a lot of work for just one amp to handle.

what kind of speakers/sub/tv u running? sounds like you off to a good start on the right foot

12. John S

John S Producer

Hmm, not the arrangemnt I was expecting...

My Denon 4802 allows for A and/or B surrounds with the rears being for 7.1 only. If you run two sets of side surrounds you choose A+B in the speaker setup for all your surround modes.

I'm not sure with this AVR....