speaker wattage?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Shannon, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

ok, I know this might be a stupid question, but is there a way to determine the wattage of a speaker?

I have a pair of speakers, of which I have no idea what the brand is, or (most importantly) the wattage. Nowhere on the speaker does it state this...

so, is there any way to determine this?

2. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

There is no easy way to determine what the speaker is rated at. Fortunatly it is a lot less important than most people think.

Maybe if you could post a picture, we could try and figure out what you have? Maybe you could take a look inside?

-rob

3. Mark Shannon

I'll try to post a pic... one problem tho...where do I host it? how can I have the pic?...

I don't think you'll be able to tell what the speakers are... they must be some crap thing...

what would looknig inside accomplish, unless the wattage is posted directly on the driver....

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Doubtful, but there is no reason really to know the wattage rating anyway as I've pointed out.

5. Rob Rodier

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

True, but I don't see your point. Let's be a little realistic, this guy has a couple of speakers that he got somehow, they are most likely cheap, maybe garage sale, or from a friend, who knows. They most likely old, and not of any high-end brand or good sounding (maybe not of course), so what does it matter? I mean, does it seem to you that Mike has a bryston, or levinson, or krell amp capable of pushing a that much wattage into these most likely average speakers? I doubt it. My point is, don't even worry about the wattage. If you want to measure impedance curves, you can do that I suppose, I wouldn't know how. Opening it up might reveal some info about the drivers, but most likely not. So mike, where did you get these speakers and for how much? I would be MUCH more concerned that they are damaged or shorted out which might put undue strain on an amp, or blow an unprotected one. I wouldn't give power-handling a second thought.

7. Rob Rodier

8. Mike_Gr

Mike_Gr Stunt Coordinator

Never make assumptions either way. What if they are homemade speakers that contain quality components?

Sure, they might be old....but that doesn't automatically ensure they are crap. I recall when I was a kid (like 12 or so)I was fuddling about with a pair of my Uncle's old speakers that were being stored in our garage at the time.

I didn't know what the hell I was doing, but I figured they were old anyway...so if I did something wrong it probably wouldn't be that big of a deal. I ended up blowing one of them (wont go into how). As it turns out those old cruddy speakers were Norman Laboratories.

Sorry for the silly story....but it illustrates my point.

9. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Hey Rob, I totally misread your entire original post(and it's only a few lines no less). [​IMG] Sorry, I was tired, I thought that you said that wattage ratings were easy to find and important, which is 180 degrees from what you said which totally agreed with what I was trying to say which probably came out poorly.

So, Mark, I'm with Rob, you should try to post a picture, don't worry 'bout the wattage ratings at this point, or in case you can't post a picture, take it to a couple knowledgeable specialty shops and ask them what they are. I'm sure they can help you or at least point you in the right direction. If it's not too difficult to get at the driver(e.g. just a couple screws or something) go ahead. If you payed a lot, it's probably not worth messing them up, but it seems (I am inferring and not reading minds [​IMG] ) that they probably weren't too pricey, so go for it. Might be messy, maybe polyfill in there, but if you can discern something from the drivers (ohms/manufacturer) that might be of help.

10. Rob Rodier

11. Mark Shannon

I finally got the site up and running:

My Home Theater

It has pictures of my home theater (go easy on me, I'm only 15)[​IMG]

the pictures of the mystery speaker are on the last page...

BTW, the speaker's impedence is 6-8 Ohm

12. Rob Rodier

Well it appears that Chris was, in fact a mind reader[​IMG]

Mark, I would not worry about any specs. I think the speakers you are already utilizing are better. However, do what you will. Unless you are "trying" to cause trouble by pushing them you should be okay.

Also, there is nothing makeshift about your setup. Very impressive, especially for a 15 year old. Good for you buddy, imagine were you will be in five years!

Keep it rockin.

Good luck

-rob

13. Mark Shannon

So they are just crap speakers... oh well...
    I wasn't really planning on using them in my main setup... I was probably just going to hook them up to my stereo reciever and play some music from that.

Before I got the hometheater reciever tho, I had 2 sets of speakers hooked up to two speaker terminals on the stereo reciever. I had the technics hooked up to one (A) and the mystery speakers, to the other terminal (B). Although the technics are great for music, the mystery speakers added incredible high range, perfect for songs with good vocals. With both terminals active (and the two pairs of speakers together), it was an amazing duo.

Anyways.... I was kinda rambling there... Thanks, Rob, for the positive comments. I'm just hoping that five years down the road I'll have a high paying job, because from what Iread on these forums, this really is an addictive hobby[​IMG]

14. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Bah, I;m still trying to get into the page, It keeps getting too much traffic. I finally just now got into the first page, and nice setup. I'm not familiar with that brand, but that looks very cool indeed. Now if only I could get to the second page without exceeding bandwidth for geocities :/.

And don't belittle your setup at all, that's still far nicer than 99% of adults have. FYI, I'm 17 and I've got Paradigms that could still outperform what 99% of what average people have ever heard. Hope that that number begins to decline though. [​IMG]

Oh yeah. I tell you, I had an epiphany once I heard some real speakers beyond my Bose (don't laugh I didnt' know any better :/ ). And so far I've already blown enough money that I could have gotten a car. You can see where my priorities are [​IMG] . Even if I have to hoist my speakers home on skateboard or bicycle or bus, I'm there. [​IMG] I suppose it didn't strike me to get a car then put a nice music system in the car... But then again, not like I have a chance in hell of affording that lexus with the levinson system, or the linn system in the aston martin, or that bugatti... ok I'll stop I'm drooling on my keyboard again. Bah.

15. Mark Shannon

Oh, it totally slipped my mind about the data transfer thing....It'll fill up quite fast, cause each picture is around 300Kb in size...if you want I'll email the pictures to you...just say the word...

16. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

No I got through after waiting a while. You only have one of those things? Anyway, don't worry about it. You probably can't make it sound any worse than it probably sounds already. It'd be fun to drop it off a tall building or something. Or take it apart and learn about speaker drivers a little. Might be useful as a computer speaker or something, but not much.

17. Mark Shannon

no...I do have two of them...I just took a picutre of one...

I actually don't want to destroy it, because (sorry) I actually like the sound it produces...

I do, however have a really crap pair of NEC's that on one of them the driver has com loose and bangs against the side... I'd enjoy takinhg that one apart, but it'll be hard to do, as it isn't sealed with nails or screws, but some kinda glue... oh well... maybe I'll use the drivers and create my own speaker with new wood...might work...heh[​IMG]

18. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

Mark: one tip about bandwidth. Don't use full-size images on your pages! Use a photo editor and modify your full-size pictures so that they are smaller (both physically and in terms of file size -- jpeg compression). Then if you like, link those smaller pictures to a full-size version.

Not only do you save your geocities bandwidth, but you'll make the site tolerable for those who are on dialup.

Luckily I'm on cable [​IMG]