Speaker Volume & Position

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Damian Giddins, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Damian Giddins

Damian Giddins Auditioning

Hello all, from a newbie.

I have only had my home cinema system for a month or so and am only just getting the speakers setup properly (had minor problem of removing sister from her room before creating home cinema in it ;-)

As i have a 6.1 system i have the two fronts and centre in the 'usual' positions pointing at me, the two surrounds about 1.2m to the left and right of me and slightly above ear level (about 30cm) and the surround backs are just below ear level directly behind.

I got the 'set the surrounds above ear level' etc from the Dolby website, but they don't mention anything for EX/ES's extra speakers.
    Does this positioning sound good?
    Should they all be set to give the same volume level during the 'white noise' setup feature ( I have read the other posts about setting the sub to a higher level than the others.

Any ideas/help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Damian

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I think its generally better to continue the upward climb and put the rear back above ear level, at least as high as the surround L/R, if not a tad higher. You'll notice this is the way it's done in theaters, and although this may be because the floor slopes up towards the back, it's still generally recommended to place the surround above ear level, and the rear the same way or perhaps higher.

3. Damian Giddins

Damian Giddins Auditioning

Cheers, I'll give that a try

Skiddins

4. Dave Nibeck

Dave Nibeck Stunt Coordinator

As for the sound level, it should be the same across the back.